Proper way to glue spa flex to pvc

inkslinger

Non-member
I got some Spa Flex Hose 1 inch from Lows and woul like to know what is the proper way to glue Spa Flex to PVC elbows,ball valves, unions ? Do you sand down the inside of the PVC to get better fittings ? If you push the Spa Flex in you will only get 3/4 of the way in , would that be safe enough? Is it better to prime and glue the inside of the pvc and the end of the spa flex before insertion for good strong cement of both?

:confused:

I have always just used regular PVC fitting, no sanding or anything. I put primer and glue on both pieces to be joined, push them together and give a 1/4 turn. I found spa flex to be tight when dryfitting, but slips all the way in fairly easily with the PVC cement on it. I do hold it a bit longer than regular PVC to make sure it has dried a bit before the joint can flex.

I have always just used regular PVC fitting, no sanding or anything. I put primer and glue on both pieces to be joined, push them together and give a 1/4 turn. I found spa flex to be tight when dryfitting, but slips all the way in fairly easily with the PVC cement on it. I do hold it a bit longer than regular PVC to make sure it has dried a bit before the joint can flex.

yup yup what he said fits perfectly once you get some glue on the joint

Primer and cement on the rigid pvc, no primer just cement, heavy duty or "specialized" flex/rigid glue only on the flex. Hold together longer than you would rigid-rigid.

willray = If it doesn't fit than it's not spaflex.

Spa Flex 1 inch is sold at Lows

Any body has a name for the heavy duty or "specialized" flex/rigid glue.

if you go the primer and regular PVC cement route, you will be fine. I have spaflex-PVC fittings that are going on four years old with no problems.

+1

I am going on a few years now as well with no issues and just used the standard PVC primer and cement.

Like Jay and Mike I've always used regular cleaner/primer and regular PVC cement. About 5 years and no problems.

Thought you were saying that you had to sand the parts to make em fit.For me it has always fit like a glove with no sanding,grinding.....

I too have have found that dry fitting spa flex into pvc parts gets only about 3/4 of the way. Once you glue them (using primer and regular glue) they slide right in. just hold about 30 secconds and then you will be golden.

Dry fitting regular PVC usually only goes in about 3/4 of the way too ;)

Jimmy, unless you don't mid forcing it out of place :) I've done both primer and med cement and that works too but do as you wish.

I'm just saying a tight fit is normal. with solvent not so tight.

I know Jimmy, I was just messing with you! I've done a few tight dry fits, on those "just to make sure deals", and its a pita to get them undone.

Back