PROS HELP NEEDED - connecting tanks

Kman2010

been out of the game for about half a year... jumping back in

So i have a 13x13x18 (sweeet find) and a 20 long. (12.5x12.5x30)

I have never setup a sump or fuge or anything. this will be my first attempt at connecting two tanks. I attached a picture of the setup idea.

Basically, i just need a few questions answered.

Will a maxijet 1200 work for flowrate?

how do make it so if there is a poweroutage i wont loose all my water?

thank you,

kyle

Attachments

• tanksetup.jpg
    tanksetup.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 188
I don't follow? I don't know any way to have two tanks connected AND at the same level.

Are you thinking of having a power head pumping one way and a U-tube returning water in the other direction?

im thinking anything at this point.. im thining of setting up a (large) hob fuge that goes in one and out the other, then possibley a pump between the two. i just want to figure a way to prevent flooding.

Look to gravity. Put one tank lower than the other. Pump up, drain down.

Otherwise I suspect your looking for trouble.

Edit, adding;
Your other option is to have both tanks drain to a common sump, then pump back up from there. That is what I would most likely do.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you go with the common sump approach you can arrange the two display tanks however you wish.

thanks!

thanks for the good idea and insight john. i went back to the drawing boards and came up with this design.

this is a quick idea for materials:

3/4 diamond bit
4- 3/4 bulkheads
~15ft of flex hose or spa piping
2 - Mag 1's ( 2 = 160 gph) 4 times the amount of water in the aquarium, i read somewhere thats the rule of thumb.

Question:

-Do you think there is a possibility for flooding if i use a 10 gallon for the sump?
-water level should only go be about 4-5 inches while running

-Are the bubble traps correct?

Last edited:
Why wouldn't you want to drain both tanks into same area in the sump/refugium then you would only need one bubble trap. I think 10 gallons is really small for a sump especially if you have 2 tank using it.

Why wouldn't you want to drain both tanks into same area in the sump/refugium then you would only need one bubble trap. I think 10 gallons is really small for a sump especially if you have 2 tank using it.

agreed. you'd have a difficult time fitting that many baffles in so small of a sump. You could also use 1 return pump, tee it off, and adjust flow with gate valves. I would also look for a larger sump if you have the space.

there are better ways to do this

1.5" hole for a 3/4" bulkhead. Actually the bulkhead is @1.3 something, but 1.5" is the closest common size holesaw.

Back