pump preference?

jango

Non-member
im starting to buy equipment for my new set up i just wanted to know what you guy's and girls use for return pumps and if you've had any problems with certain models...
any advise would be appreciated...

thanks,
pj

Whats your application? GPH? submerged or external?
I've run a lot of different pumps. Some good some not so good.

it will be a multi tank set up main tank about 4' of head,fuge's about 5' of head.the smaller pump i would like about 250gph to each tank(2 up top),and for the 75 im not sure it will be going thru O.M. 4way,i dont know how much flow i need it will be mostly sps in the main tank.
i would like to go for external pumps

yes, it will be in my bedroom,i can deal with some noise, it doesnt have to be silent

little giants,2 mak 4's and iwakis (on the 30's and up)have fans in the back of the pump that make them louder than velocity,but they run cooler.
mags also don't have fans and can be run both internal or external.
blue line makes some nice pumps as well

not familiar with how much an OM cuts flow or if it requires a pressure rated pump

these are all i run. they run hot but are dead quiet.
http://www.championlighting.com/e/e...pumps.html?link=/Products/Pumps/velocity.html

FWIW if i had a sump room i would probably choose a different pump and not worry so much about noise.

scott how hot do they run,just hot to the touch or heat up my water hot.my total volume will be about 135gl

Hi Scott,
Which velocity are you running, and on what size tank. I don't think the Iwaki 30 has a fan, at least mine doesn't, and it gets hot to the touch. I don't know how much of that heat is transfered to the water since it is the back part of the pump that gets hot.
Even without a fan the Iwaki is loud. Mine is my living room and I can clearly hear it over the noise from my overflow. It is a loud hum. My wife just says it is white noise and it ignores it. I am probobly going to swap it out with something quieter in a couple of months.
Jeff

Last edited:
deafasa,are you running an american motor or japanese,ive been leaning towards iwaki but ive been hearing about the t3's alot.to start i had it set for iwaki but i have no experience with external pumps.ive heard so many good thing about the iwaki(jap.motor).
scott how long have you been running the velocity's?

I was looking into EHEIM because of reliability what do you guys and gals think of EHEIM are they as good as i hear.

Hi Jango,
I have the japanese motor version that is pressure rated (RLT30 I think. I would have to look at the model number on the pump when I get home for the first three letters. I know it is the pressure rated one and not the circulation one.) If you want to make a trip to Brookline, Mass I'm sure we could come up with a day\time for you to visit to hear what the pump sounds like. I have to warn you though, I don't have a stellar tank like a lot of BRS members do.
The pump itself is a solid pump, I'm not a big fan of the hum it produces.

Back