Purple firefish and fire fish M.I.A.

rpedro04

Non-member
So i got this guys and realize that a few hours later they were no where to be seen!!:(
Has this happen to anyone ?
Could they be dead?
I got got them from different pet stores and a couple days apart,at first i thought that they were just hiding on the rocks but now i don't know any more...

Firefish are wicked timid.
Give them a few more days and watch when you feed the tank.

The red firefish will sometimes burrow under a rock when first introduced. I needed a flashlight to get a glimpse of mine. The purples i never had so wouldn't know.

so you have a purple and a red firefish? if so, i would be very watchful with them, they do not tolerate others of the same species well. i had two that hung out together for 3 months, and then all of the sudden the smaller one started getting beat up pretty bad.

So i found the red one dead under the tank,no idea were the purple could be,i hope he's hiding,but i guess that's just wishful thinking....
How do we keep this guys from jumping?
I really love this guys and wood love to keep them in my tank...

My purple fire hid in the rockwork for the first couple of days. You would be amazed at what a tight spot they can get in & out of. Give it a few; you may be surprised soon at feeding time

I have had my Purple Firefish for about 5 months now. It always hide when the lights are off or dimed. It hid for a while when I first got it, but it is always out in sight but never too far from it's "burrow". I had to remove my glass canopy due to water temperature and I was afraid it would jump out. It's been 3 months now with no canopy and he hasn't jumped. I would say give it time. It will eventualy come out.

>How do we keep this guys from jumping?<

Put a top on your tank, or redesign in a big way. No easy answer.

i have had my purple for about 6 months in my 90 and have had no problem he is allways near his borrow basiclly maybe 4 inchs total from it but he stayed in his burrow for about a week when i first got him i've had red twice both jumped from my 40 im thinking depth of tank might be a factor

Money down the drain

I had 4 fire fish for 4 days. after that they were all gone. I too hoped they were hiding in the rocks somewhere. They weren't. They were eaten 1 by 1by a brittle starfish that decided to eat about $200 worth of fish and inverts until I sat and waited all night to catch him and bring him back to the store. I solved the problem by not buying any more firefish.

A friend of mine had two of them that he couldn't find for a few days , they ended up in his overflows

Back