Qt question

Joker

Viking Corals
BRS Member
For those of you that qt. What steps do you take when it's time to add your fish to your tank?

If the QT and the display are about the same salinity, temp and ph, feed the fishies in the display and then add the fish from the QT to the tank. I try to do that an hour or two before the lights go off. That way the new fish can still find its way around, and if it gets harassed at least the lights will go off in a few and give it a break.

Does anyone do several water changes to the qt before adding the fish to the main tank to remove the copper or other medication?

I run two tanks with the second being non medicated. Are you concerned about transferring medication to the display or are you thinking more of an acclimation thing for the fish?

I run two tanks with the second being non medicated. Are you concerned about transferring medication to the display or are you thinking more of an acclimation thing for the fish?
I'm worried about introducing medication and copper to my reef

Honestly I doubt it matters. Think of the dilution factors involved. Even if there is 100 microliters of water/slime coat on the surface of a fish with therapeutic levels of copper, consider the following: if you move the fish to a 10 gallon tank, the tank contains 3,785,000 microliters of water. So your 100 microliters of medicated water/slime is diluted 1 ul of medicated water per 37,850 ul of tank water.

It's super super dilute.

If it would make you feel better you can give him a quick bath in a cup of tank water first, but it seems overkill to me.

I do water changes and run carbon to remove copper then observe for 2 more weeks. after that I sometimes put them right in and sometimes acclimation box. if adding many just put them in

I match salinity and temp then drop them on in. unless I think my tangs will be jerks then I will use an acclimation box

Back