Quarantine tank build

mloebl

Non-member
Well I dip all incoming corals with inteceptor and levimasole, but still got red bugs :mad: Going to finally set up a quarantine tank and move all the acros out into it for a couple of weeks rather than dose the whole tank. Only a couple of my acros have really encrusted much onto the rock, so going to take them both out the best I can and kill off what's left on the live rock. In the mean time... this is what I'm thinking for the tank which I'd like to use in the future as well for incoming corals:
- 10g tank with a drain drilled in the side
- Going to build a simple T5 hood 2 24w bulbs 10k ok?
- eggcrate platform
- Heater
- maxijet or two for movement

Anything else I may be missing? Not sure if I really need to put a skimmer on for the corals as it will pull out the interceptor but I do have a remora pro if I quarantine fish. If I do a water change every few days I should be ok.

Any thoughts/feedback?

Thanks,

-Mike

If you intend to QT fish in it, you would be well served to throw in a couple PVC elbows and/or Ts. This so the fish have somewhere to hide. Stresses them out to be in a totally open tank with nowhere to hide.

Sounds good to me.

My QT/frag tank is a 40B drilled with small sump, ER skimmer, heater, circ pump, and a 150 HQI pendant. It's been great for both QT and frag grow out purposes.

If you want to pick up an extra skimmer for that system, I have an old CRA needle wheel, smallest or second smallest size - I'd sell it cheap.

Also, LMK if you'd like help with drilling and or making an overflow box. Also, if your going to use a glass sump I have a holesaw to cut the hole for a Kent style float valve - if you want simple auto top off.

jk

Sounds good to me.

My QT/frag tank is a 40B drilled with small sump, ER skimmer, heater, circ pump, and a 150 HQI pendant. It's been great for both QT and frag grow out purposes.

If you want to pick up an extra skimmer for that system, I have an old CRA needle wheel, smallest or second smallest size - I'd sell it cheap.

Also, LMK if you'd like help with drilling and or making an overflow box. Also, if your going to use a glass sump I have a holesaw to cut the hole for a Kent style float valve - if you want simple auto top off.

jk

Thank you for the offer and info; I'll let you know. :) I was able to drill a hole tonight for a 1" drain on the bottom for changing out the water quickly. I'm hoping that since it's only the acros for now I may be able to squeeze by without any filtration as long as I do a water change every few days?

Hopefully corals won't wither too much under the weaker lights coming out from under the 250s. Actually got a good deal on a 6x24w T5 unit so hopefully that will be enough as it's only a 10g tank.

Do you add interceptor directly to your QT?

-Mike

Back