Quarantine Tank: What do i need?

SMS76

Non-member
I wanted to get few fish (one by one) to stock my FOWLR or light softie tank. I like to put fish in the Q tank and i wanted to know what do i need to setup Q tank?

-> Tank : What size? (let's say i get 3" Emperor Juvenile)
-> What other equipment? Just heater and power head will do?

I will do water changes every other day or so. No sand no other rock or decorations. I will put few PVC pipes for cave.

My basement stays around 60 ish, will having this tank in basement will create any issues?

Also how long should i keep my fish over there and what medicine should i use in Q tank to kill any parasites or other bugs of the fish?

Thanks
Shoeib

Last edited:
I'd use a 30 or 33 long tank. I'd also add an AquaClear HOB filter. Maybe a 300 or 500. They're super cheap, like $20 from Foster and Smith. That way you won't have to do water changes every other day. Should be fine like that for at least a week if you first keep the filter sponge in your sump for a few days or a week.

Nate

I would do a simple hyposalinity quarantine, for one month, no other medications... actually, if you're doing a FOWLR, you may want to consider keeping the main tank at hyposalinity longterm.

Hypo will prevent ich, but won't necessarily help with parasites, etc... but with a 1-month quarantine you'll have some time to observe the fish and make sure it's healthy.

Nuno

I use copper (cupramine) for my QT tank. I run a small protein skimmer, heater, powerhead with a hydor on it, and a few large PVC elbows (4.5" diameter) in a 20 long.

With copper there is no point in running a hob wheel or similiar skimmer as the copper kills the bacteria. I do a 2 gallon (10 percent) water change every other day.

I have a 40L in my basement, and run a 250W heater in it. I have never seen the temperature change from 79 degrees. I am running a penguin 330 on it for filtration, and flow, and I run my salt mixing powerhead (MJ900) in there when it is not mixing SW.

I have PVC elbows and tees for hiding with a couple of plastic plants for looks :p. I do not run any medications, as I have only used the tank for incoming QT, and not for treatment yet (knock on wood). I have kept it at the same parameters as my display so that transferring fish does not require acclimation

The 40L is a nice size (same footprint as a 55 but shorter) and it was free from a friend at work :D.

You need a 29 gallon tank - I got 1 for sale
You need a stand - I got 1 for sale
You need a aquaclear 70 - I got 1 for sale
:):)

nunofs said:
I would do a simple hyposalinity quarantine, for one month, no other medications... actually, if you're doing a FOWLR, you may want to consider keeping the main tank at hyposalinity longterm.

Hypo will prevent ich, but won't necessarily help with parasites, etc... but with a 1-month quarantine you'll have some time to observe the fish and make sure it's healthy.

Nuno

When you say hyposalinity, what salinity are we talking about? Also my tank still has few left over frags and starfish and snails and such, do they survive hyposalinity?

Nate, i think i prefer not to use anything from my tank at this point as it might still have Ich from the last fish i added.
Thanks guys for replies, i am thinking about getting QT tank. Kevin can you please PM me how much r u looking for just for tank and filter? Although you are pretty far from where i live so that might make it tough to pick up.

hyposalinity treatment is keeping the saltwater at 1.009 or less for 3-4weeks. I would hesitate to use copper on angel fish. Most will not survive a treatment from my past experience. I would aerate well and run carbon.

Shoeib said:
When you say hyposalinity, what salinity are we talking about? Also my tank still has few left over frags and starfish and snails and such, do they survive hyposalinity?

As Andy said, hypo is 1.009... I don't think you'll be able to keep any corals or inverts at that salinity, though.

Nuno

Yup..nuno is right...I forgot to answer that part....inverts and corals will die at that salinity level. I would put them directly into the tank and skip quarantine for those.

Shoeib was asking about the corals and inverts because I had suggested above that he could keep his main tank at hyposalinity long-term... but only if it is a FO/FOWLR tank.

Nuno

Back