Queen Conch Question

starrfish

Non-member
I put a bunch of queen conches in my tank around noon today. 4 hours have passed and they haven't moved at all! I put them on top of my rock where I get the most red slime. Do they like to be on the sand better? Do they move at all, or generally stay in one place for a long time? I'm wondering if they are even alive. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure they are substrate cleaners. The one I bought a while back took a few hours to become active and then burrowed into the sand. I have no idea if it's still in my tank because I never saw it again.

Yup, you're right. I put them in the sand and immediately saw their eyes come out (I think that's what they were :) ). Luckily I got bunch of snails and hermits for the rocks - I'm going to keep putting them up where the most cleaning needs to happen. Thanks for the tips.

Hey Daire -

FWIW... I was told that smaller conches of both types will venture onto the rocks... but they need to base themsleves on the sand and go from there. So you may still see some action up above after they get comfortable.

b

i have a small queen and a small fighting conch.The queen will feed on the rock but the fighting stays in the sand.I think this is the general rule of thumb with the conches from what i've read.

Liam - Even the small fighting stays (always) in the sand?
I was told that they would go onto the rocks a little when small, and stay on the sand when larger... but that queens would always do both, regardless of size.

At any rate, Daire should see her queens on the rocks at some point, right?

I have two medium sized fighting... always in the sand.

b

I have one (a fighting?) that is about 5 inches long and he sometimes will climb up the glass. I didn't think they were spoda do that.

reefnroll said:
Liam - Even the small fighting stays (always) in the sand?
I was told that they would go onto the rocks a little when small, and stay on the sand when larger... but that queens would always do both, regardless of size.

At any rate, Daire should see her queens on the rocks at some point, right?

I have two medium sized fighting... always in the sand.

b

yep my fighting conch never leaves the sand.The funny thing is a piece of macro algae has grown off its shell that is about 2 inches tall so when the snail thinks it is well hid in the sand i always know where it is :)

Daire, Sea Creatures in Lynn has some giant urchins and also some of the smaller Tuxedo Urchins. They both do a good job, along with the Mexican Turbo Snails, cleaning my live rock . Gotta see that tank someday!

I have a queen and it travels around my tank more than some of the snails. Straight up the glass, up the rocks, over powerheads, whatever... This thing is a maniac, but does a great job cleaning. I'll be sad when it outgrows my 30gal and I have to trade it away to a better home.

Daire,

Queen and Fighting Conches are often misidentified leading to conflicting reports on their behavior, I have had several Queens and in my experience they never venture on the rocks or glass. The barbs on the shell of the Queen is more rounded than the Fighting but that alone at times can be difficult to distinguish, RC has a few interesting threads on the subject if you care to read up on them.

Jim

Back