Question about algae ? New tank just cycled.

sconstant

Non-member
I just got my 90 gal up and cycled zero on the ammonia, nitrite and 25 ppm on the nitrate before I did the water change today so I'm hoping that brought the nitrate down. Anyway I'm seeing these little green like grass attached to the back glass and off some rock that looks like hair algae so how do I get rid of this ? I am fairly new to the hobby and have had reef tanks in the past about 10 years ago, thanks.

Are you using RODI for water? How is it testing for TDS?
Lighting? How old are the bulbs?
Flow? What do you have?
Any live rock? How old is it, where did it come from?
Sump/Fuge?

normal stage for a "fresh" tank. a year into the tank I still have minor algae issues; as long as it does not get out of control it will work itself out, assuming your parameters are in check.

normal stage for a "fresh" tank. a year into the tank I still have minor algae issues; as long as it does not get out of control it will work itself out, assuming your parameters are in check.

This. First diatoms, then hair algae, then usually a bit of cyano. All part of a new tank. Don't go crazy trying to get rid of it.

Thanks for the input it all makes sense I guess I just got a little worried, Using RODI good flow lights are great sump with live rock (need more). I've purchased 10 blue legged hermits and a couple larger ones and one of them came with what lookds like hair algae on the shell so could this be m,y issue with the algae ?

one of them came with what lookds like hair algae on the shell so could this be m,y issue with the algae ?

Probably not. Something is feeding it.
Do you have a LFS near you that could double check your parameters?

What do you have for a bio-load?
How much are you feeding them and what?

New to this so not familiar with the abbreviations LFS and bio load ? I have a domino in gthere and the hermits and I'm not feeding but once per day.

No worries :)
LFS:Local Fish Store
Bio-Load: Livestock

How much are you feeding once a day?
Some fish foods are high in phosphates which in turn will feed the HA (Hair Algae) in your DT (Display Tank) [Like how I added those in there :)]
Minus pellets/flake I rinse all my frozen food with RODI while straining it before placing into tank.
Excess food can also play a part.

When testing your phosphates it could be reading zero just for the fact the HA is consuming it.

I will check the food I feed the domino and also do phosphate test tonihgt. It is not a huge amount of hair tiny little stems on walls and rocks randomly throughout the tank. Some of my live rock has a patch here and there and on the bottom of my overflow which is internal. Can I take the rock out that has it and clean it in RO and keep cleaning the sides of the tank to get the hair off ?

No don't take the rock out and clean it with RO.
Just be patient and keep nutrient level low by not over feeding.
Make sure your skimmer is working up to capacity.
You probably just have some PO4 leaching from the LR.

algae.JPG

If you look closely on the glass about the middle , sorry horrible and hard to see.but it looks like a stem with little shoots almost like a tree. they are single shoots spread apart from each other and random.

as stated above, get yourself a few mexican turbo snails (large bulldozers)...they will make short work of the algae

Back