Question about Herbie over flow plumbing method??

BackInTheTank

Non-member
So my question is. I have a pre drilled tank to except 1in over flow and a 3/4 return. If I run the 1in as my over flow and the 3/4 as the emergency back up over flow with 2 return lines up the back side of my tank. My worry is if for some reason the main over flow gets clogged and now it is over flowing into the back up 3/4 over flow. Will I have issues with my return pump being it has been tuned into running with a 1in over flow and now it's running with a 3/4 over flow?? Ty

Your concern is understandable. Assume you clog a 1" diameter pipe working at full suction (Herbie requirement) you cannot replace that with a 3/4" drain. HOWEVER, (first point) for your main line to glog 100% immediately, some real strange thing needs to happen. Like if someone sticks a pingpong ball in it or something like that. Make sure you have a grill covering the intake of your main drain and you should not have a problem. Typically, your main drain will slow down with time due to stuff sticking to the inside of it. That is expected of any reef plumbing. What happens in this case is you will start noticing a little water coming down the backup drain. This is the main reason why the end of the backup drain should be above the water surface in the sump, so you can hear it dropping water in the sump. At that time, you can try to find the reason why it's doing so or simply open your gate valve on the main drain a little more and call it a day. This brings me to the second important point: You never run your 1" main drain at full drain capacity. If I remember correctly that's something like 2,600 GPH. Unless you run a 5,000 gallon system, that's too much. So assuming a 120Gal tank size and a target drain flow of about 800 GPH, you will dial down (choke) your main drain to that capacity and that full capacity can easily be handled by a 3/4" backup drain.
Summary: No worries, you will be fine.

Just run the 3/4" as the primary drain and the 1" as the back up.

Just run the 3/4" as the primary drain and the 1" as the back up.

+1 on recommending the 3/4 as primary. Your going to be closing down the 1 inch with gate valve so why not use the 3/4. You may be limited on volume by the size of your overflow anyway. I have two one inch drains (one primary and one safety) and the how much I could push through my overflow was the limiting factor. You don't want to rely on return for flow anyway. just turnover in the sump.

What if I use the 1 in as main drain and the 3/4 ER but when I plumb through the floor with the 3/4 . I step it up into a 1in down in the basement. ?? Would this also work?

You would still have an emergency with less potential flow than the primary.

How much flow are you expecting? You can still get quite a lot through 3/4" under siphon.

Yeah I don't run mine near its capacity, they can actually handle a lot under the siphon.

Just for juriosity. How often does disaster problems happen if you dont run the herbie overflow method?
I have never had a tank with herbie method. All tanks i have had were using just the so called durso method and never had any issues.
Beside the noise advantage, what are other advantages over the durso?
With a sump in the basement, one would need to run two drain pipes and at least one return. That is a lot of pipes going thru the floor
Please be advised.
Thank you

Last edited:
It provides the noise advantage as you stated but the other benefit the herbi and the bean have over the durso are the back up drains. Herbie has one and the bean has two.

A full blockage of the durso would allow the pump to drain the dump and in the worst scenario, run dry and start a fire.

I've had very good experience with my Herbie setup so far, although I was not as cautious as folks suggested here to use the largest drain as the backup.

I run a 1" durso standpipe with a gate valve and a 3/4" backup straight drain, with a 3/4" return line feeding the tank. I verified that the 3/4" backup drain can take the full volume of water from the return line (with a hell of a noise, but it works). Then I tuned the siphon drain to be silent.

It's been surprisingly stable and I haven't adjusted it much at all beyond fine tuning the first month or so. When the primary drain needs to be opened more, it means I need to clean out the grate on the durso with the next water change.

Just for juriosity. How often does disaster problems happen if you dont run the herbie overflow method?
I have never had a tank with herbie method. All tanks i have had were using just the so called durso method and never had any issues.
Beside the noise advantage, what are other advantages over the durso?
With a sump in the basement, one would need to run two drain pipes and at least one return. That is a lot of pipes going thru the floor
Please be advised.
Thank you

Traditional duroso drains virtually never have any sort of "disaster". They are reliable, and by design they get noisy, start loudly flushing, and in general alert to the problem long before causing a "disaster".

The advantages of a herbie or bean drain are;
-Equal or better reliablility in terms of preventing a "disaster"
-Much more flow is possible, up to 2x or more
-Silent to near silent. No bubbles or gurgling from the sump or the drain
-No bubbles into the sump. If kept tuned correctly NO sump baffles are needed.

Back