Quick Question Regarding Coraline Growth

asing

Non-member
The coraline in my tank seems to have a distinct line of where it stops growing. There is literally a line about 4-6 inches from the top of the tank as to where it just stops, and it is on all three surfaces (2 sides and back). Just wondering why. Is it too much light too close to the top that stops it growing? It just confuses me. Just wondering if anyone has an explanation for it. Thanks for the replies.

do you use an ato or does the tank get low and you add more water manually?

Coraline can bleach. But it is weird that nothing is growing past a certain point.

How old is your tank?

How much coraline do you have?

Can you psot a pic?

Was thinking the same as SKelley. If you have a fluctuating water level, that would cause the coralline not to grow in that area. Coralline dies pretty quick when exposed to air.

When you do water changes, do you take water out of the tank, or sump? It can and usually does die when exposed to air.

do you use an ato or does the tank get low and you add more water manually?

Its a rr tank so the water level in the main tank stays the same.

Coraline can bleach. But it is weird that nothing is growing past a certain point.

How old is your tank?
How much coraline do you have?

Can you psot a pic?

Tank is ~2 years old or so, coraline is covering the back and sides, a good amount, though Id like more. Ill see if I can take a pic later on and post it.

So does the line end where the low level is when you do a water change?

When you do water changes, do you take water out of the tank, or sump? It can and usually does die when exposed to air.

I take water out of the main tank. That may be it. Ill double check how low it gets next wc, that seems like the most likely cause right now.

Thanks for the replies everyone, seems the general consensus is because the drop in water during a change is causing it. Makes sense, but I would think it would grow back, no? (havent been as religious with wc's lately) But I will be doing one this week and will check how low it drops

Back