Rad's 46 Gallon MACRO-ALGAE Tank.

RadReefer

Non-member
A few months ago I decided that I wanted to set up a new tank inhabited by something other than the typical coral reef style tank. I mulled over the idea of butterfly fish and softies, strictly an anemone dedicated system, or a macro algae and seahorse tank. I narrowed it down to the macros seeing that they are fairly inexpensive, I won't need to heat the tank as much as a reef, I won't need a skimmer, and I won't need to supplement or run tests as much if at all. All of the equipment I am using was all leftover or extra, aside from the overflow. I had the 46 gallon tank and stand all cleaned up and stored in the basement collecting dust. I had the tank drilled and installed a glass-holes overflow leading to a 29 gallon sump. I am using 2 koralia 1050 power heads for flow set up in a gyre fashion. The tank is being heated by a Fluval E300 heater and will be kept at 74 degrees. I do not plan on using a protein skimmer at all and will rely on filter socks as my only means of mechanical filtration. Filtration will be performed by the live rock, macro algae, and by water changes. For lighting, my old aquatinics 36" T5 which I grew SPS under nicely. Coincidently, my brother broke down his tank at the same time and donated his live rock to me. He had previously obtained the rock from live aquaria, he bought show piece size rock. There are 4 rocks total in the tank. The largest weighs 30 pounds, all totaling about 60 pounds. Total water volume is about 60 gallons I estimate.

You should plumb it into your display reef tank and let it act as a natural filtration system. Macro algae love to absorb the stuff we dont like in our main systems.

Drilling:
th_IMG_0216.jpg
Overflow:
IMG_0221.jpg
I cut the center brace out because it was brittle in the middle. I installed a piece of acrylic with nylon screws.
IMG_0220.jpg

S kelley, I set this tank up in my basement. I had no room in my office for another tank and my wife wouldn't go for the idea of a tank anywhere else in the main house, haha. She's not really in to the hobby at all and could care less really as long as its not making a mess.

Tank went through a pretty rough cycle of brown furry algae, then green hair, then green glass algae bloom that lasted about 3 weeks. I didn't use any mechanical filtration during this time period, only water changes and filter socks with some carbon in them. I also inherited my brothers clowns that were the sole inhabitants of his tank. They are around 6 years old. This is the aquascape layout. The rock on the right side is 30 pounds. There are a total of 4 rocks in there. The setup is about 5 inches from the back wall so the flow from the gyre is awesome.

Last edited:
Not sure if its just me but when I click on your attachments it says invalid

I am not sure why it isn't working. It is impossible to upload pictures nowadays.

Last edited:
I can see them now! MUCH better! looks great!

Thanks S Kelley, I will be updating this thread to track the growth of the macros. They all supposedly grow fairly quickly with exception of the sargassum. Thats the brown one with the air bladders. I guess sargassum is difficult for a macro but i have it in a high flow, high light situation. The pod population that came in with this macro was insane. I rinsed them before I added them and there were tons of weird stuff in the bucket. I plan on placing another order of macro this week.

Looks great so far. Where did you get your macro from? I have been wanting to get a couple of pieces. What is the large yellow one on the Rt of the tank?

Back