Rainforest cafe

stang8s

Cyber P
I was at the burlington mall today and checked out the big tank at the Rain Forest Cafe. WOW they have alot of very BIG fish in a tank that isnt all that big considoring the amount of bioload. there was an employee diving in it cleaning the glass when I was there.

Curious if anyone knows anything about that tank and how they filter it to handle that sort of bioload? There was no live rock just plastic rock/coral.

I'm more interested in knowing how they keep that ceiling clean and free of spiders... There could be all kinds of stuff living in there.....

Steve

I don't know any details about the tanks there (btw, there are a few more tanks inside, besides the large one at the entrance) but the other day a fedex driver who was delivering a livestock box to me (the box said "live tropical fish" although they were corals) mentioned that he frequently delivered fish there... so I guess they have a lot of fish "rotating" in and out of the tanks ;)

Anyway, if I had to guess, I'd say the tanks are all plumbed together and they use some kind of commercial skimmer + wetdry + UV sterilization system (like the ones that have "cartridges" that can be plumbed together inline). Just a guess, though.

Nuno

Visited the Downtown Aquarium in Houston last week. It is a restaurant with tanks as theme. It is owned by the same guy that now owns the Rainforest Cafe. 50,000 gallon main tank and many smaller tanks around the building with seahorses and other stuff. Asked to see the equipment room, but was told employees only. The tanks were very clean and the fish look healthy. Again pretty heavy load in the tanks.

The fish are pretty large and impressive in the Rainforest Cafe, but everytime I've been there I've noticed quite a few fish with infections or discoloration, etc, so I'm not suprised that they receive a lot of "live fish" deliveries. Still pretty cool to walk through a huge FO archway though. :)

id like to go there more, but that last time we went the service was horrid, the two waitresses got in a fight about who was supposed to be serving our table. I should have told them, don't fight over our table I don't tip well anyway! :) took 50min to get a burger and drink and they weren't even busy... oh well the fish were fun to look at.

That sounds pretty cool, I also liked the store in Mohegan Sun, Odysea or something like that, i went in while I was there for my 21st b-day. They have a big archway tank, and 4-5 more inside. They had one reef tank that was pretty nice, adn then another tank of sharks, another like an aggresive tank, puffers, lions, and eels, and then anther that had just clowns. It was mixed with all diff. clowns, tomatos, percs, and stuff. It was neat tho, the tanks were huge.

Attachments

• DSC03745.JPG
    DSC03745.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 192
Back