Ramblings about fish stocking

My wife doesn't really like copperbands, (not sure why) so I'll probably skip that one. The big longnose looks cool. Have you ever seen that in stores Moe?

Flasher wrasses would be very cool James. I thought of those as growing to 6" or so before I looked them up at your suggestion. Happy to see they only get about 3". That's a good option. Are they mellow enough, or will they spook my majestic angel?
The carpenter sounds less aggressive than some of the other flashers, according to S. Michael.

I'll pass on your tumor-fish Peter! :p

But the hawkfish is an interesting idea for it's unique niche as you pointed out.

With all these suggestions I'm starting to think I should be tripling the size of my tank too, and not just my sump! :)

Thanks

just be careful with the hawkfish they can be little buggers and if you have any shrimp or small fish they will pick on it . i have a pixy hawkfish that dukes it out with a green choris wrasse. im actually debating getting rid of him. have you considered the pajama cardinal, they are neat looking little fish that are definetly peaceful and you can get several in one tank
chris

Yeah, I had that impression of the hawks.

My main reservation with cardinals is whether they have much personality or movement. My impression is mostly of them hovering in the water column. Is that an accurate idea of their behavior?

I got rid of my Hawkfish, I couldn't keep any shrimp or small easy going fish.
Flasher Wrasses are jumpers. I lost 3 to the hardwood floor. I kept 2 Bartletts Anthias for a while but 1 on 1 the male harasses the female too much and she can't eat. I added 3 more females. It kept the male busy herding his girls and allowed all the females time to eat. The females also set up a pecking order, the largest female would turn male if something were to happen to the existing male. The males color also improved after adding the additional females, and the whole thing was a riot to watch. They were always darting in and out of the rock work, chasing each other around. I plan on replacing them soon (they died when I moved)
I,ve also been getting into different gobies. Right now I have a Dragon Gobie, awesome sand cleaner. An Engineer Gobie, awesome mess maker. A Yellow Clown Gobie and a Green Clown Gobie, the yellow nips at sps polyps but doesn't cause any serious damage and a mated pair (they don't kill each other) of Yellow Watchman Gobies. I like the Gobies because I can have people over the house multiple time, stareing at the tank and then they finaly see a Gobie and think I just got it. Simple things amuse me :rolleyes:

i still say take a look at a couple of sunbusts athias. they are an antias in name only, the male doesn't harass the females all the time and they are some of the most peaceful reef fish i've ever kept. but because they are a deep water fish make sure before you buy them, to see them eat, they are swimming ok (they kind swim like bangaiis) and you have a nice cave or overhang for them to hang out in.

I saw some bannerfish at AA yesterday and I really loved them. Beautiful fish and very neet to watch. I gotta stop going there :rolleyes: .

Nate: In re: Cardinals..

In some folks systems, they merely hover in the water column. That's not necessarily a bad thing if there is a school. It's quite impressive.

In other cases, like Doug and Paul's system, they continuously hide in the rock and are rarely seen until the lights go out. This may also be due to the Tunze and the flow in their system. Dunno....

In my tank, the pair dart in and out of rock, hover in the colum, or over my large Monti Cap, whatever, wherever. They act no diffrerent than the chromis (except they stay lower in the column) or the clowns. They are just as active as the rest of their tank mates.

As predicted, my male spit the babies last night. I couldn't get him out of the display this time. I found babies everywhere this morningl; in the overflow, in LR caves, and in corners of the tank. I'm hoping to save SOME, but I refuse to rip apart my reef to get them. Evolution happens ;)

Dave

NateHanson said:
Yeah, I had that impression of the hawks.

My main reservation with cardinals is whether they have much personality or movement. My impression is mostly of them hovering in the water column. Is that an accurate idea of their behavior?

nate they may not be that active but in small schools they are pretty neat.
my wife only has 1 in her nano but he is always out and likes to people watch. and on top of that the little guy seems to be industuctible. she has had flatworm outbreaks, ich and some other things ( all in the begining before we knew what not to do ) and he has lived through it all. i think he might be superfish in disguise lol.
chris

truncatus anthias will school. nice color plenty of movement

i love mine if you look at the photo contest there is a pic of one being cleaned by a cleaner shrimp

mine school while waiting to be cleaned

yup thats the one not my picture, though i could take one like it everyday

they open their mouth and flair their gills and the shrimp go to town its really cool to watch

Back