recommendations for 1st fish and clean up crew-buying tomorrow :)

Dtilton

Non-member
Hi all-

Just got back from 2 weeks vacay and when we had left our tank was maybe a month past cycle. I added glass covers to the top of the 90g and covered the 20 gal sump partly with saran wrap to limit evap. Water parameters are spot on and did a 25% water change. We're off to CRA tomorrow to pick up a fish and a small CUC. We don't seem to have a ton of stuff going on in the tank- some hair algae here and there- coralline is slow going, so not sure there's enough to support a clean up crew. We'd like some crabs and shrimp- we can supplement with other food, right? And for 1st fish.... we have 90g, lots of marco rock, 5-6" dsb. Lighting is 2x54 actinic and 2x250MH. Looking to do all kinds of good stuff in the future- LPS, SPS,clams, so want some fish that'll fit that tank. Suggestions? Eager to hear what people think......

-Danny and Janet

umm, i like my potter's angel. other cool angels if you have the $ are wantanabeis. you might try a pair of percula clowns, or lyretail antias trio. banggai cardinals are cool looking also. gobies and blennies are always amusing fish. if you want something larger, you could try a foxface. i would recommend putting a tang in last if you want one.

Yellow tang is a must for us,and yes- it's going in last..... Thanks for the suggestions!

start with 'easy' fish. Jeremy usually has clowns.....as damsels, they're always a good bet as a hardy beginning fish.

Your light sounds good for a tank of your size, but to get the value out of your lights, I think your covers have to go.

CRA is a great shop to go to...have fun.

Someone here is selling tank raised clowns for like $5 each and had 100 left or something.

I got one of mine from Greg Hiller years ago and he's still kickin strong. I don't know if he still propagates them though.

Or get one from a local fish store preferably tank raised/ORA :)

We just had the covers on while away on vacay- no ATO set up yet,so wanted to keep evap down.....

Lawn mower Blenny.
This fish will get to work on any algae.
They are hardy.And they have tons of personality.
They're mostly a roaming fish so territoriality is really not a big issue with these fish.

Back