recommendations please

That's like saying I need a car and I don't want a Ford. C'mon, if you expect us to give you recommendation, at least take the time to type up some basic info on your tank system. Ie. how big if your tank and what you like to keep is a good start.

lol sorry i was just super aggravated about my skimmer and was pretty much just asking for brands to start some research. i have a 90 rr with a proflex model 3 sump, reeflo blowhole pump. i keep mostly lps and im starting on some easy sps. i currently have a reef octopus 1000sss for my skimmer and it creates a ton of micro bubbles in my tank. ive messed with the water level and evrything i could possibly do. i have also been intouch with coralvue several times and they just tell me what water level to keep it at . im fed up with my skimmer

I don't have a bad thing to say about my reef octopus .

Same here. I was running one for over a year with no issues. You might want to have someone take a look at how you have it setup. The skimmer you have is a good one.

Good Luck Derek

thats what i heard and thats the reason i got it. for some reason tho bubbles pour out of the gate valve no matter what the depth of water i have it in ive contacted coral vue several times and all they tell me is make sure it in 5.5 inches of water. im honestly out of ideas on how to fix it.

I have that exact same 1000SSS skimmer. I have some baffles before the return pump area so I have zero bubbles in the tank. If I look at the outflow of the skimmer there are some bubbles coming out. I love this skimmer, works great for two years. I think your issue is with your sump and not proper baffles.

Last edited:
I also have a Vertex IN-100 and happy with it. No Micro Bubbles at all coming out of the output. For the occasional micro bubbles when I dose or change something in the tank, the baffles keep it away from the DT until it normalizes.

Higor

i was actually thinking about adding baffles to my sump to try and stop this. i mean it skims great dont get me wrong. its just these damn bubbles are getting to me lol ive thought about adding lr to the last chamber to help. ive read online that some ppl do that to almost act as baffles but my local hardware store will actually cut a piece of plexi to whatever size i want so it might be worth a shot

lol sorry i was just super aggravated about my skimmer and was pretty much just asking for brands to start some research. i have a 90 rr with a proflex model 3 sump, reeflo blowhole pump. i keep mostly lps and im starting on some easy sps. i currently have a reef octopus 1000sss for my skimmer and it creates a ton of micro bubbles in my tank. ive messed with the water level and evrything i could possibly do. i have also been intouch with coralvue several times and they just tell me what water level to keep it at . im fed up with my skimmer
All (maybe most) Skimmers will produce micro bubbles. Put someting on the outlet to break them, a sponge usually works.

Last edited:
All (maybe most) Skimmers will produce micro bubbles. Put someting on the outlet to break them, a sponge usually works.

Not all Skimmers will have Micro Bubbles. Can't really speak for everybody, but in my experience once you have a skimmer dialed in and broken in it should not shoot out micro bubbles out of the output.

Micro Bubbles are caused by many things. IME salt creep in the air line (or something blocking it), water chemistry, adding something to the tank and placement... Every time I see my skimmer producing micro bubbles for no apparent reason I find something wrong...in my case 99% of the time is usually salt creep or a something blocking the air line.

With proper baffles and skimmer placement, I am able to keep pretty much all the bubbles away from the DT in the event the skimmer goes "crazy" for any reason.

Hope this helps.

Higor

On my reef octopus, I added some pvc to the gate valve output and then put a thin sock filter over the pvc. No more microbubbles, works like a charm! I don't have room in my sump for baffles and this was the solution I came up with. Cheap and effective. I'd give it a try before giving up on a good skimmer.

How old is the skimmer? New skimmer will have some micro-bubbles coming out of the output and eventually will reduce and go away over time. If the skimmer skim good, I wouldn't worry about it. Adding baffle to the sump is probably not feasible since the sump is in operation. But I like that padding idea.

FWIW, I'm running a Vertex Omega 150 and I don't see any micro bubble in my display tank. I have to check for it to see if there's any where the output is.

I really appreciate all the feed back . The skimmer has been running since Christmas so it should be broken in by now. I was thinking about making a small acrylic box that goes under the gate valve to stop any type of flow around it and almost acts like a baffle in itself letting the bubbles rise to the water surface but still allowing the water to flow into it. I have a few ideas for trying to get the bubbles to stop. Like remove able baffles. I'm just not sure if I should make one around the return or the skimmer itself or both

Try what the person linked you to on RC, the foam kit.
I have a Reef Octopus 3000-INT and a "T" on the output. Also put a "cap" on the upper portion of the "T" with a 1/2" hole on top to allow air to escape. The bottom portion of the "T" sits about 3/4" below water level. I have minimal bubbles. Could try this approach, and like mentioned above tie-wrap a filter sock to the bottom portion of the "T".

I just checked my Octopus XP1000-SSS. It's putting out a few bubbles, not a lot. Baffles such as these totally eliminate them. I used a 15 gallon 12x12x24" tank for a sump. It cost me a whopping $40 for the tank, glass baffles and silicone.

Attachments

• baffles.jpg
    baffles.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 92
Back