Red bug treatment question

nashlake

Rochester, NH
BRS Member
I want to treat my tank for red bugs. I got several frags from a BRS member several months ago and later learned his tank was infected.

My question is what need to be removed prior to treatment. I understand shrimp and crabs should be removed but does this apply to all inverts?

I have 4 clams and a large brittle star as well as the shrimp and crabs.

Any place to buy online without using a local vet? I called the clinic my wife uses for the cat and they will sell me the med, but they charge much more then what it is listed for online.

Thanks,

Jeff

Shrimp and crabs are the only thing you need to pull out, and they should not go back in till after the water change and carbon has been run.... As far as interceptor, try a diffierent vet or go to petmeds.com. My vet gave them to me for normal price of $7 a pill for large dogs.

Larger shrimps (cleaner, blood, and coral banded) may live thru the treatment if you cannot get them out. Best way as aquaman stated is with a fish trap and a frozen cube of food. Small crabs and hermits usually end up dieing if not in first treatment, but in second or third.

bob

Last edited:
Just get your Vet to give you the Rx, then you can order from anywhere you like. You know, if the vet still wants to give you the Rx when you tell them you aren't going to buy from them... :rolleyes:

Thanks,

I tried petmeds but they need info on your "dog" and will check with your vet before shipping the meds. I guess I need to try other vets in the area.

Jeff

My local vet ( Grafton Ma.) was pretty cool about the whole thing. I told him I wanted some Interceptor to treat reef corals. He warned me that Interceptor could kill mollusks. Sold me a dozen for $60. I'd try another vet if I were you. This treatment has become a pretty common practice now.

Jeff, I have also heard that you can get it without a perscription through some online Canadian pharmacies.

Good luck to you, were going through the same thing right now and we feel your pain.:( We'll be going through our own treatment process so if you need to PM us about anything, please feel free.

-Gina and Dave

Back