Red Sea Pro Salt Mix

SquareFace

Non-member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420912116.607413.jpg

The Pro version of the Red Sea Salt mix has a alkalinity of 12.2 dkh to encourage accelerated coral growth. I've been trying to increase my alkalinity using 2 part dosing, but can't raise it higher than 9 dkh. I'm worried that by doing water changes with a much higher alkalinity water may shock my tank. Does anyone use this salt? Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use it and the amount I change does not raise the Alk too much. (5gals a week in a 34gall system. What SG do you keep your tank? The 12.2 ALk I believe is if you mix it to 1.027 SG.

RSM 130D

I keep my salinity at 1.026 SG. I use 2 part dosing for calcium and alkalinity. BRS calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate. I have no problem keeping calcium stable, but alkalinity swings a lot. I tried increasing the sodium bicarbonate dosing many times, but KH never goes higher than 9 dkh. Most of the time it swings between 7.8 and 8.8. The dosing is divided throughout 24 hours a day to help keep is stable, but no success. I need someone with experience to mentor me.

how about mag from what I have read to have stable CA and KH you you need decent mag like 1350. I dosed my tank with Kent Tech - M to get my MG up and have had no problem maintaining Alk or CA. Once you get mag where it needs to be it does not take much per week to keep it up.
I use the RSCP now but was using IO reef crystals before and everything numbers wise seemed pretty stable.

how about mag from what I have read to have stable CA and KH you you need decent mag like 1350. I dosed my tank with Kent Tech - M to get my MG up and have had no problem maintaining Alk or CA. Once you get mag where it needs to be it does not take much per week to keep it up.
I use the RSCP now but was using IO reef crystals before and everything numbers wise seemed pretty stable.

Magnesium is stable at 1380 ppm.

How much of a "load" do you have in your tank? In my tank (sps) I usually only have to dose alk cause it pulls that much faster than ca and I have a ca reactor ta boot!

How much of a "load" do you have in your tank? In my tank (sps) I usually only have to dose alk cause it pulls that much faster than ca and I have a ca reactor ta boot!

There's not really much load. The tank will be one year old in next month (after total loss tragedy). And there's not really a lot of coral growth.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420935303.597770.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1420935315.443847.jpg

Back