Red Sea coral pro salt

Yeah sounds like you're taking about blue bucket Red Sea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the other thread most reefers, included myself, suggested to stay with Reef Cristal, that you were using and allow the Alk to go down naturally. You even measured a fresh batch of RC done by you and you reported be around 9dkh....correct ?

So i do not understand why you changed the salt to Red Sea pro when it is known, very well, for its high alk levels.

Moreover, you wrote you were worried for your SPS. These changes are not good. They need stability. A reefer wrote that there are many successful SPS tanks with high Alk. That is correct, because Stability is a key factor. Keep the tank stable.

Last edited:
Chris, you might read some very old posts about redsea coral pro salt. Many many years ago their Alk was at 7, but in the past severe years, Red Sea coral pro is consistently at Alk =12

Chris, you might read some very old posts about redsea coral pro salt. Many many years ago their Alk was at 7, but in the past severe years, Red Sea coral pro is consistently at Alk =12

That's what happened
I believe I have a bigger issue that's causing the alk to be so high, co2

I live in a apartment and there was 3 of us. Now my in laws will be staying for 3 months. My ph is 7.6 in the middle of my light schedule

I tried using it for about a year 4 or 5 years ago. It mixed cloudy about 1/2 the time if not careful. This is because of calcium precipitation which means some of what put in there is now insoluble.
Another thing I never understood was that in a high demand tank, whatever the alk that goes in it will likely be stripped in about a day or so with no additional supplementation. So one is essentially spending more money for no gain. Unless you want to start really high to try to maintain a higher level with whichever method supplementation you choose.

I believe I have a bigger issue that's causing the alk to be so high,co2
What???

No. This is an incorrect understanding of alk, ph, and co2.
Ph will absolutely raise and lower because of co2 levels. Alkilinity will not. Alk is simply a measurement of the solutions ability to buffer acidity.
"
Forgetting the math for the moment, it is easy to see how this must be the case. If carbonic acid is added to any aqueous sample with a measurable alkalinity, what can happen?

Well, the carbonic acid can release protons by reversing equations 1 and 2:

(5) H2CO3 ==> H+ + HCO3-

(6) HCO3- ==> H+ + CO3--

These protons can go on to reduce alkalinity by combining with something that is in the sample that provides alkalinity (carbonate, bicarbonate, borate, phosphate, etc). However, for every proton that leaves the carbonic acid and reduces alkalinity, a new bicarbonate or carbonate ion is formed that adds to alkalinity, and the net change in total alkalinity is exactly zero. The pH will change, and the speciation of the things contributing to alkalinity will change, but not the total alkalinity"
Quoted from here
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/2/chemistry

I find in an established reef, all consumption is the highest of the 3. That's why I like the coral pro because it gives me a higher ratio of alk that when consumed, my levels are still at a normal ratio.

Back