red tide in new england

"Dood, paralyptic shellfish poisoning totally feels like I'm stoned"

:) Does this affect the deep water sushi fish as much as it does local clam beds etc? Usually these tides get all lumped together...red tide is usually toxic dynoflagellates that get eaten by filter feeders (and thus when you chomp their little bellies) you get ill.... (I didn't read the article, so I'm not sure) but sometimes they lump various microbial/bacterial things all into the "red tide" category.

In reading the article(s) and hearing the news, it's just the filter feeders and the predators of filter feeders that stand to loose. That's me :( No more "slurpies" until further notice...

BUT.. rumor has it that this is a Cape Cod bay, and North Shore bloom. In fact, the beds where I fish (South Cape, Vinyard Sound) may be free of the nasty cousin to the diatom bloom in my tank!

Dave

Having now read the article, they did in fact misclassify the alexandrium (responsible for PSP and "red tide") as "phytoplankton".

It is zooplankton, roughly speaking, as a dynoflagellate, yet photosynthetic :)

The long and the short is that it probably wont affect our tanks horribly, for NSW users, unless they plan on eating their clams :)

You can eat your tridacnid, as long as you only eat the hard muscle tissue. It's the soft tissues that are bad. So you can continue eating scallops (I don't know anyone who eats the gurry) and razor clams (my favorite, though I'm not sure, maybe some people eat the soft tissues of those?).

--cn

Back