Red Tide

DSOUZA

Non-member
Just wanted to make sure everyone who was getting NSW knows about the bloom. There is a shellfish ban. I almost got some water the other day and I didn't like the way the water looked ( no special reason but it had a smell).

What would have happened if I put that water in my tank?

Dara

It's usually a pretty localized thing on the outer Cape. It might be in Nauset Marsh, but not Pleasant Bay for example, or even only in parts of a given marsh system. You can find out from your local shellfish or natural resources office in the town where you collect your water. Where do you get it?

--cn

Daire, I collected about 100 gallons yesterday too. I fully plan on using it.

I got the info from the front page of the Patriot Ledger. Our shellfish beds have been closed in Duxbury and the paper says from NH to Cape Cod canal. I don't know much more info. I just wanted to get the news out there.

Dara

Don't eat your tridacnid clams for a couple of weeks I guess. ;-)

I only remember a couple of times in Nauset Marsh when red tide was obvious enough that someone well attuned to the ways of the marsh would think that something might be out of the ordinary. It sounds like it's a very different story down in Florida. Around here you basically have to rely on people with microscopes to tell you no clamming this week. A town with a shellfish industry should have a decent natural resources office that monitors these things carefully, locally. Otherwise I'd guess that more generic warnings apply.

--cn

I collect in Cotuit which is on Vineyard Sound. I read the Cape Cod Times every day - I would think it would make that newspaper if there was a problem - not too much else going on down here. :) Thanks for the info Dara.

Daire,

We dont tend to see it here as wide spread as on the bay side, when we do get it it's usually in smaller inlets and bays and will lead to localized shellfish area closings, closed areas are usually listed in the Enterprise.

Jim

PS Let me know when your ready for the RBTA, I now have four at this rate they are going to take the tank over.

Yeah, Cotuit should be a good place to collect. And it wouldn't necessarily be affected the same as Duxbury and NH to the canal either.

I've been off Cape this winter, but it sure seems like there's been plenty of excitement down there. I keep seeing Cape stories in the news -- mostly bad stuff of course -- the usual winter antics, but a bit more than normal maybe.

edit: Yeah, what Jim says -- the Bay is one body of water, but on the sound and ocean side it's marsh system by marsh system and inlet by inlet. Sort of what I was trying to say before, but badly I guess.

--cn

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips guys. Conrad - unfortunately we have had our share of bad news this year - lots of murders - why can't we all just get along?? :D

Jim, I'm acclimating my current RBTA and clowns as we speak!! Assuming all goes well (these are the first fish to go in the big tank), I will be ready anytime. I'd like to wait at least a week to make sure these guys do ok. But it will probably take you that long to get one out of your tank. :) I'll let you know how things go. Thanks again for the tank warmer!

Daire

Yeah, lots of murders, arson, and fatal car wrecks. ;-(

You think there's nothing to do where you are, you should try living on the *outer* Cape for a few winters! I did it for several and realized I was going to turn into an alcoholic bum if I didn't get another place closer to work and civilization.

I'm looking forward to some decent weather so I can get down to Eastham weekends. I'm definitely going to try NSW this Summer. I like the price! ;-)

--cn

Back