Reef 3D printing...

afboundguy

Acan's are inedible candy
Staff Member
BRS Member
For those that use 3D printing for reef things which filaments are reef safe that can be submerged?

I use colorless "clear" PLA filament for some underwater parts. I have had no issues with it (that I am aware of).

Petg and abs is the best to print with for saltwater. Abs is very hard to print with as any little cooling will make it warp. Pla can be used but if it's under stress it will break apart. Petg is a little tough to print with but once you get it down you will end up with a strong item. Just make sure you do research on what brands people have used. I used hatchbox for my filament.

If you decide to print with abs make sure you have a printer enclosure as the fumes are not good for you. Petg is what I read a lot use for saltwater printing.

I second what others are saying Pet-g due to it being no biodegradable=won’t leach into the tank and breakdown over time

Something to be aware of is that even in the filament is generally safe, some dyes used in them are toxic. Beware of that with colored stuff.

Back