WTB Reef lighting

Zeefishies

BRS Member
Hey guys, been banging my head on type of lighting.
So why not ask the expert reefers?
I'm looking for good affordable coral lighting
Mostly for softies nothing on the high end.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Ty

What is your price point, and tank size....I can link you to these popblooms I bought off ebay. They were about $150 per LED with controller....They mimic the Red Sea lights, and my coral growth so far is no joke. The spread is supposedly 24x24 inches......they honestly seem bright enough for that. I have 2 over a 36x18 display tank. And they have mount arms included !!!! https://www.ebay.com/itm/331864473484?hash=item4d44a9ff8c:g:MZEAAOSw0LlhfPmp

Attachments

• reef4.jpg
    reef4.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 143
Its a 80 gal custom
48x24x16
As for the budget I would like to keep it under $300
Ty for the info

For softies you don't need anything crazy expensive but it pays to get the best light you can. I would stay away from the pet store brands like Marineland or Fluval because I don't think you get a lot of bang for the buck there. You could always post that you're looking to buy lights and see what's available from other club members. Good luck

For softies you don't need anything crazy expensive but it pays to get the best light you can. I would stay away from the pet store brands like Marineland or Fluval because I don't think you get a lot of bang for the buck there. You could always post that you're looking to buy lights and see what's available from other club members. Good luck
Ty

Could mix and match lights with what you currently have. Might look funny without a canopy or hood. Acrogarden (Dong) and I’m pretty sure I saw Mofocorals (Pablo) have Reefbreeders lights on some of their tanks. The Reefbreeders have a bit of disco light effect shimmer.

I have a ton of light and flow on my softie tank, Radion G5 + AI Prime, but it’s major overkill. That tank was originally going to be a SPS tank, but the angel…

My newest tank, IM30 frag tank, is lit by a used $50 36” T5 fixture and an inexpensive LED bar to give some pop and shimmer. Everything grows in the IM30 tank including Acropora, LPS, and leathers.

Last edited:
Corals need alot less Par than people think. They chase the PAR. But its about light and nanometer wavelengths. You can have 60000 power level Par and not grow anything because wrong spectrum.

Corals need alot less Par than people think. They chase the PAR. But its about light and nanometer wavelengths. You can have 60000 power level Par and not grow anything because wrong spectrum.
Ty good to know

I have AI primes that I could dig out of storage if you’re interested.
I recently started using AI primes and I am impressed. They are a great little light with cool control features built in.

I'm using a kessil on another tank and I don't envision ever buying a kessil again. The light itself is nice but the controllability is lacking. To automatically ramp the lights on/off or change color, you need a separate controller. To use the controller without a cable coming from the top of the light you need a wifi dongle. The AI prime has these features built in as standard items.

The other benefit is that they are relatively budget friendly relative to lights with similar features.

I recently started using AI primes and I am impressed. They are a great little light with cool control features built in.

I'm using a kessil on another tank and I don't envision ever buying a kessil again. The light itself is nice but the controllability is lacking. To automatically ramp the lights on/off or change color, you need a separate controller. To use the controller without a cable coming from the top of the light you need a wifi dongle. The AI prime has these features built in as standard items.

The other benefit is that they are relatively budget friendly relative to lights with similar features.
Ty for the info

Back