Reef Octopus Varios

B.rian

i would rather be diving
Has anyone been using one of these as a return pump? I am just trying to get some input, as there are not many reviews out in cyberspace. I am considering one of these or the ecotech vectra. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know anything about the Reef Octopus... The Vectra I can speak for, had it for a month. Hands down best pump I've ever owned - heck nothing even close actually. Never a problem restarting. Is actually quiet. The controller at first I thought was a bit of a gimmick but its turned out handy. The hardware is Allen head not screws! No vibration. I am running it external. Only complaint is the use of British standard fittings, but off the shelf PCV bushings glued in (can send closeups of this).

thank you very much for the input! yeah, everyone seems pretty impressed with them. i wish they were controllable by the apex controllers, but everything else seems solid.

I don't know anything about the Reef Octopus... The Vectra I can speak for, had it for a month. Hands down best pump I've ever owned - heck nothing even close actually. Never a problem restarting. Is actually quiet. The controller at first I thought was a bit of a gimmick but its turned out handy. The hardware is Allen head not screws! No vibration. I am running it external. Only complaint is the use of British standard fittings, but off the shelf PCV bushings glued in (can send closeups of this).

Agree completely. Been in this hobby a long time and have used several pumps including Iwaki, LittleGiant, GRI, Sicce, Eheim, Sen, WaterBlaster....nothing I've used comes close to Vectra. I've never tried the Abyzz, which I hear are amazing pumps. I currently run a Red Dragon on my skimmer, and am impressed with that pump also, but both of those cost 3-5X's the cost of the L1. Dollar for dollar you will not find a better pump. Most submersible pumps really drop off with any kind of pressure, the Vectra is the exception. I'd recommend the L1 and you can always turn it down if needed.

Back