Reef Tank Cleanup Crew

Frag Freaks

BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
how big should my cleanup crew be for my 38gallon reef. Right now i have 8 hermits mixed of scarlet and blue leg. Then i also have 4 astria, one turbo and 2 bumble bee snails. For some reason i just dont see this is enough or maybe it is. Should i add anything else. Looking for the best type of sand cleaner. Was thinkin about adding a queen conch. Please give me suggestions.

I would definitely add about 10 nassarius. Maybe a fighting conch and 5 cerith as well. I don't know much about queen conchs.

so you agree then that my cleanup crew is a little on the small side. What about starfish?

yeah nassarius rule cause they dig through the sand all the time. haven't had any starfish. I love peppermint shrimp, but alot of people complain about them so I guess YMMV.

i have a queen conch and love the work it does. it is always cruising around. i would say add a queen, about 6 nassarius, and a few more scarlets. by the way, i think your blue legs will kill scarlets if you don't have enough extra shells for them to move into. scarlets are the only ones i have had that didn't kill each other.

i still have all my scarlets. i heard that the blue legs will do that but so far i havent had any problems. i do leave alot of extra shells lying around. What would a brittle star do for me and are starfish worth adding to the tank or do thet cause too many problems.

starfish are not necessary. i do not have one. i have heard that brittle stars may attack fish if they are hungry. i would say not to get one, but it is a personal choice.

Brittle stars and serpents can be a great addition for a detrivore. Some serpents can go predatory eating snails, but I doubt it will grab fish, dead ones probably. My brittle star is great, sniffing out every peice of crap in my rocks or on my sandbed. Cleanup crew is all a matter of choice. Your best bet is to have more variety, and not only get 2 or 3 types of critters...I have 5 different snails, 3 types of crabs, brittle star, tons of micro brittles, some sort of nudibrach. You could also get a sand sifter star, it kept my sandbed sparkling. Yesterday I picked up a Trochus, man, that thing went right to work. Online, there are some pretty good deals to be had.

a list with suggestions and how many of each would be helpful if anyone would be so kind.

Back