Refugium advice

Sbbavis3

BRS Member
I have a 120g mixed reef, never had a refugium before and want to know if worth it and the benefits, also which algae to put in it. Ive attached pictures of my sump, let me know if the middle chamber is a good place, or if i should move skimmer over and use first chamber. Also have a UV sterilizer if that matters. Thank you!

Attachments

• 9AC07492-7F1B-41BE-A2B4-FBEC9DEFFEF4.jpeg
    9AC07492-7F1B-41BE-A2B4-FBEC9DEFFEF4.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 33
  • CF5FBDCA-48CC-4871-8B29-972A93D4B38E.jpeg
    CF5FBDCA-48CC-4871-8B29-972A93D4B38E.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 28
  • E64FB866-68FC-4F38-BB81-5682EBA18772.jpeg
    E64FB866-68FC-4F38-BB81-5682EBA18772.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 32
With the sump under the stand, I would only put a ball of chaeto and trim it back when it gets too big.
There’s a lot of maintenance in macro algae refugium. Lots of competition between the algae and you have to watch your iron and potassium levels. I had one for awhile. It was great but I lost control of it and one or two algae took over. I shut it down since I don’t have time to tend to it. I would do it again.
My sump is on a stand at my waist level.

With the sump under the stand, I would only put a ball of chaeto and trim it back when it gets too big.
There’s a lot of maintenance in macro algae refugium. Lots of competition between the algae and you have to watch your iron and potassium levels. I had one for awhile. It was great but I lost control of it and one or two algae took over. I shut it down since I don’t have time to tend to it. I would do it again.
My sump is on a stand at my waist level.
I appreciate the response. Does it matter which chamber?

The chaeto is the sock. :D
Having filter sock or pad is ideal as the chaeto most likely trap a lot of that debris.
Basically, you don’t want to remove the nutrients but food and debris that can block up the chaeto.

The chaeto is the sock. :D
Having filter sock or pad is ideal as the chaeto most likely trap a lot of that debris.
Basically, you don’t want to remove the nutrients but food and debris that can block up the chaeto.
That last sentence…..? So remove the sock, use the chaeto instead?

Back