Replacing a broken glass panel

jprince

Here we go again....
Hi all

Thought this might be a topic of interest. I picked up a new Marineland 200 RR/DD tank that has 3 sides of Starphire, but also had a broken rear panel of glass. It was dropped during a move and shattered the panel into several pieces. Luckily it only affected the rear panel, and did not transfer into any other surface. First task was driving to get it, then loading the beast into my truck. Not as bad as I expected, and things went smooth. Second task was getting said beast from my truck bed, down onto the ground and then down 6 steps in my bulkhead, into the basement. That's where things got tense. The tank was carefully lowered onto the ground, and due to the face that it is several hundred pounds of dead weight, a plan was divised to wrangle the beast down the steps. 2 "skids" of 4" hardwood floor planking cut to size and duct taped to the rear frame work seemed like a good idea...:rolleyes: The tank was rolled onto the "skids" and ssslllooowwwllllyyyy tilted over the steps. Heres where gravity comes in, and with me providing the "brakes" on the downhill side, away we went. Halfway down I started thinking, "Boy, this thing is heavier than it looks." But down the stairs she goes.Smooth as glass, and shes in the basement. Pushed the beast on the "skids" across the basement to the work area. Oh, did I mention the fact that this was accomplished by me alone?:: I REALLY don't recommend doing that. I could picture my wife and kids coming home to find Daddy, flat as a pancake, under his new fish tank at the bottom of the stairs because he was too impatient to wait for help. Oh well, onward we go. Pics to follow.:D

Hi Jeff,

Just wanted to let you know the frags I got from you are all doing good. If you need any silicone for when you put the back panel on I have 4 or 5 3oz tubes of ASI #502 that is clear food grade and aquarium safe.

Hi Jeff,

Just wanted to let you know the frags I got from you are all doing good. If you need any silicone for when you put the back panel on I have 4 or 5 3oz tubes of ASI #502 that is clear food grade and aquarium safe.

Glad to hear the frags are doing good. I plan on fragging some more soon. Thanks for the offer on the silicone, but I picked up some black for the job.:D

Aaron is a real nice person. The day I picked up my 90 from him I was contemplating on taking that 200 with me as well but that sucker is heavy::

Good luck with it

Jeff,

In the future, if you ever need help moving heavy stuff like that, give me a call. I live close to you and could most definitely help you out.

Ok here is the tank in the basement. The pic is deceiving. This sucker is BIG!! Pics show the shattered panel, and step one of removing the overflows. ** Note the hardwood "skids" strategically placed across the floor!!:)

Attachments

• Tank build 014_1024.jpg
    Tank build 014_1024.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 512
  • Tank build 015_1024.jpg
    Tank build 015_1024.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 506
  • 010_1024.jpg
    010_1024.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 503
  • Tank build 017_1024.jpg
    Tank build 017_1024.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 498
So I was nervous about taking this tank apart, and I started in on removing the top frame. As carefull and slow as I moved, I have never heard glass "crunch" that much in my life. I think I sweated out 5lbs in the 40 minutes it took me to cut the top free. I have to admit that once I got the frame off I thought..."Looks Boss!!! Rimless 200!!!":p I did take some small chips out of the top of the glass trying to get the frame off. No big deal. Also removed the back panel which was just a matter of razor blading the silicone free. Very easy. I also scraped the excess silicone from all the surfaces that I would be working with to install the new panel.

Attachments

• Tank build 018_1024.jpg
    Tank build 018_1024.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 502
  • 014_1024.jpg
    014_1024.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 506
  • 015_1024.jpg
    015_1024.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 490
  • Tank build 023_1024.jpg
    Tank build 023_1024.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 514
I ordered a new panel from Portland Glass and had it ready in less than 3 days!! For less than $100!!! Now that's service!! I requested all 4 sides be ground and polished to keep the chace of blemishes messing with the final fit of the new panel in relation to the existing. I thoroughly cleaned and prepped all the contact surfaces and layed down a bead of black silicone. I placed the panel in, and clamped her down. So far so good. I ran a bead of silicone along the interior seams and then re installed the overflows. Finally the top frame goes back on and TAAA DAAA!!! One glass panel replaced!!:D Now to let the silicone cure and give her the wet test!!

Gas in the truck to pick up a broken fish tank: $20
New 1/2" glass panel from Portland Glass: 97.78
Tube of black silicone: $6
12 pack of Sam Adams Boston Lager: $15.99

"New" Marineland 200 RR/DD 3 sided Starphire addition tank in the basement: PRICELESS!!!!:p

Attachments

• Tank build 012_1024.jpg
    Tank build 012_1024.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 511
  • Tank build 013_1024.jpg
    Tank build 013_1024.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 499
  • Tank build 025_1024.jpg
    Tank build 025_1024.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 505
  • Tank build 026_1024.jpg
    Tank build 026_1024.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 498
  • Tank build 027_1024.jpg
    Tank build 027_1024.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 508
More.....

Attachments

• Tank build 028_1024.jpg
    Tank build 028_1024.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 502
  • Tank build 029_1024.jpg
    Tank build 029_1024.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 495
  • Tank build 036_1024.jpg
    Tank build 036_1024.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 517
  • Tank build 035_1024.jpg
    Tank build 035_1024.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 499
nice J! get some pics :)

Done!!!

Aaron is a real nice person. The day I picked up my 90 from him I was contemplating on taking that 200 with me as well but that sucker is heavy

Good luck with it
Thanks!! He was a nice guy, and yes it is HEAVY!!!

nhsalts Jeff,

In the future, if you ever need help moving heavy stuff like that, give me a call. I live close to you and could most definitely help you out.

Thank you sir!! I just may take you up on that when it's time to get it up on the stand!!;)

Wow Jeff, that came out great!

+1

Thanks Anthony!!

FOXYB real nice.... gives me some confidence
did you water test yet?

Thanks!! I just assembled it last night, so I plan on giving the silicone a week or two to cure. I think the most surprising thing I learned while doing this was just how little silicone is actually holding the panels together. Most of the strength comes from the bead in between the panels, and trust me, that ain't much at all!!:: I had to remove very little silicone form the panel edges themselves.

Dude, that tank, is FREAKING SWEEEEEEEET!!! A big old 200g starphire glass tank? I'd soil myself if I ever owned one! Did you get a good deal on buying it since it had a broken rear panel?

:-O!!! You're ******* with me!!!

How'd you manage to pull that one off if you don't mind me asking?

A free 200g starphire glass tank... Dude I would seriously probably pass out or cry or something.

Oh ...... .and awesome job on the fix Jeff!
You cant even tell there was a broken back pannel!

Cant wait to see it full!

Back