Repurposed 55 gallon vegetable oil barrels

sights2012

BRS Member
I bought some 55 gallon barrels that were only used for vegetable oil for restaurants. I have been spraying them down with a pressure washer and bleach. Almost all of the slick, oilly residue is gone but there is still a residue on the top of the barrel where my pressure washer can't reach, and a little in some of the crevasses. I also let bleach water sit in it for a few days and now am waiting for the remaining water to dry to start hooking it up to my RODI unit. Is there anything else that anyone would recommend? Will a tiny bit of residue be okay? Most of it is gone, and when I wipe my hand it is not slimy in most areas.

as long as its vegetable oil and not axle grease I wont worry..even if u find oil on ur surface water just skim it with cup. bleach is a sterilizer not an oil reducter..u can wipe hard to reach areas with a cloth and denatrured or isopropyl alcohol.

Haha, yeah, the guy who sold it to me works in the food industry and said he buys them for his company to deliver canola and olive oil with. He also says the people who buy the used ones are very picky so he keeps them nice and it even had the veg oil sticker on it. Thanks for the input! I'll have to look up "denatured" Is that a type of alcohol?

Back