Requesting help with a new sump for 75 gallon reef ready set up

BrianOD68

Non-member
Hi BRS,

I tried searching past threads but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. I am moving and transitioning my reef tank. I currently have a 72 Bow Front reef tank and will be moving it into a 75 reef ready tank. The 72 Bow has all HOB filters. I am going to be trying out a sump for the first time and considering just doing an in sump protein skimmer and return pump, and keeping my hang on back Aqua C protein skimmer. For new skimmer I am considering the Coralife Super Skimmer 125 gallon w/ a rate of 500gph. I am unsure as to what size sump(10,20) I should be looking at and the return pump.

I could always go with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality and put bulk heads in the drilled portion of the tank and not try the new set up with a sump and just use my HOB filters and skimmer.

I was feeling a little overwhelmed with the thought of the move and I wasn't totally attached to the 72 bow so I figured it would be easier to set up the 75 and cycle it and just focus and moving fish, coral, inversts and live rock in one day instead of the whole set up.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

It's definitely worthwhile to do the sump. I'd look at a larger sump if possible (20 or even 29g (or a 30g is really nice, but harder to find cheaply)). They are pretty easy to make. I have no construction skills and mine turned out fine.

Check out sicce synchra return pumps - silent, reliable, and adjustable.

Setting up a system with a sump is really not hard or complicated. The main things that could go wrong would be getting a poorly matched skimmer and or pump, and putting baffles into the sump in a way that isn't thought out well. Luckily we can easily help with all of that.

For the skimmer, I would suggest just about anything other than the coralife. Easy and fairly safe advice would be to look anything by reef octopus that's rated for @ 100 Gallons.

For the return pump, are you hoping to have all the circulation in the display supplied by the return, or are you open to having some in tank circulation pump(s)? Also will the sump sit directly below the display tank, or will it be in the basement or other remote location that would require more pumping power?

Keep in mind if you do a sump there is enough volume that if the you have a power failure it can hold the extra water :)
Ask me how I learned this !!! LOL

on my 75 i use a Trigger Systems Crystal Sump 30x12x15, I did not want to build one my self , witch is easy , but buying one was easier for me lol.. for a return pump I use a Lifegard Aquatics Quiet One Pro Pumps 4000, which is rated for 991 gph, after head pressure it is probably turn the water 10 time an hour , which is high for todays standers, days of old everyone would say ten times or higher per hour of a turn around rate, now I think people do 5-7 times per hour.

Thank you for the advice. To answer Johns questions; the return pump will not be the only circulation in the tank, I have two power heads to use on the tank, and the sump will sit directly under the display tank in the stand, not doing a basement sump.

+1 for trigger systems sumps and Reef Octopus skimmers.

I setup my first reef ready tank (dsa 90 gal) with a Trigger Systems Tideline 30 sump. I'm driving the sump with a Jebao DC9000 and running a Reef Octopus 150SSS skimmer. The trigger systems sumps are pricier than DIY but ready to use with great baffling for the drains, skimmer, refugium, and return chambers. Our sump is quiet and easy to work with.

Back