Battling Detritus. Requesting advice for elevating rockwork above bottom

serwobow

BRS Member
Being stuck at home, and staring at my tank for substantial periods of time, I have come to notice how much crap accumulates on the bottom of the tank, and I have also come to find out that it is difficult to remove. I would like to permanently elevate my rockwork an inch or so above the bottom of the tank to make for easier removal of this detritus. Has anyone done this? What strategies would you recommend?

I like the stax rock idea. I wonder if I could just put a couple of those down, and set my exist rocks on top of them? That might look pretty natural. I think the PVC or eggcrate will be too hard to hide and won't have the look I want.

I like the stax rock idea. I wonder if I could just put a couple of those down, and set my exist rocks on top of them? That might look pretty natural. I think the PVC or eggcrate will be too hard to hide and won't have the look I want.

The STAX pieces that I received were various heights between approximately 3/4-1” and 1 1/4”-1 1/2”. The height of a piece looks uniform throughout. My sand-bed is about 1 1/2 - 2” high. I stacked and cemented 3 pieces to raise some of the rock structures off of the sand bed to allow for increased flow. The STAX “feet” sit flat on the glass.

Back