Rescaping

Kimmi2413

Non-member
Would taking out all my sand(due to going B.B.) and rock to rescape cause my tank to cycle again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What if I take out the rock only to rescape without touching the sand?

How long will the rock be outside?
Will they be dried by the time you put them back in?

You can slowly remove sand over time depending on how much you have in the tank and how long it's been in there. To re scape the rocks it should be fine to pull them out for a few minutes or so but keep in mind you should place them back the same side up because the beneficial bacteria on the surface of the rock.

How long will the rock be outside?
Will they be dried by the time you put them back in?

No just want to take them out to rescape real quick and put rod on them to hold them so they don’t fall over

You can slowly remove sand over time depending on how much you have in the tank and how long it's been in there. To re scape the rocks it should be fine to pull them out for a few minutes or so but keep in mind you should place them back the same side up because the beneficial bacteria on the surface of the rock.

Tanks been running since this past feb. don’t really have much in there but I’ll take it out slowly just Incase. Thanks!

if you don’t have much corals, it won’t be a big deal. Take out the rocks and put them into a bucket with tank water. Siphon out all the sand and put back the rocks in. Make sure You have some new water because you will be throwing away quite a bit of dirty water.

I would not recommend removing all the sand at once. If you have fish in the system they could be damaged by an ammonia and nitrite cycle which could then leave them susceptible to illness and disease.

I don't see why you can't just suck out the sand using a hose. But prepare for a pretty big water change. If you do it right, the sand shouldn't be disturbed and your water change is no more than your usual water change.

If it's a large tank, I would do it on the section where there's no rock on it. Then come back 3-4 days later and take the rock out and place them on the section where the sand has been removed and sucked out the rest of the sand.
Gently and slowly is probably key here.

If your avatar is an accurate representation of the tank currently, that's what I would do. Don't sweat it. I've sucked out sand with a hose and there's minimal(if any) disturbance.
Also, don't need to get every grain out. When you get most of it already, you can come back to it on the next and the next and the next water change.

If your avatar is an accurate representation of the tank currently, that's what I would do. Don't sweat it. I've sucked out sand with a hose and there's minimal(if any) disturbance.
Also don't need to get every grain out. When you get most of it already, you can come back to it on the next and the next and the next water change.

Ok thanks.

Back