Restarting New tank setup

me2003

Non-member
After 7 months of having no tanks, I am starting a new tank setup.
Below is the list of what I have purchased and will be purchasing over the next several months. I have 3 major criteria after it works well and will support corals
1. Cost
2. Power usage - I do not want an excessive power bill
3. Noise - Stand in living room

I am not sure which ocean motion system to buy. The 4 way mag
drive or squirt. Does any one have experience with either or suggestions?

I have a 22 by 22 inch space for a sump in the tank stand.
Any suggestions on a sump system?

What is the best method for sound proofing a tank/stand?

* Oceanic 140 gallon tank and stand
*Velocity Titanium Water T3 Pump 800 gph
Ocean Motion 4 way or Squirt
* ASM Euro Style Protein Skimmer #G-2x
*CoralLife Agualight 2 150 DE and 2 96 watt actinic 3 moonlights
*MTC ProCal calciun reactor (Would have selected minicalc but the price was right)

* already purchased

http://www.oceanicsystems.com/products_aq_rrtanks.html
http://www.esuweb.com/cardfile.asp?...elationship=313
http://www.seaquestmarine.com/cgi-b...t&SEARCH=search
http://www.championlighting.com/e/e...kimmers/g2.html
http://www.marinetechnical.com/procal.htm

-------------------------------- electrical ----------------------------------
Blue Line Aqua pump calcium reactor 45 watts
Sedra 3500 protein skimmer 35 watts
Velocity Titanium Water Pump - T3 140 watts
Lights 492 watts

I'm using a T4 pump with an OM Squirt and it works very well... I would recommend you consider the T4 instead of the T3, it's the same price and same power consumption, but has 50% more flow (1225gph)... you can always dial it down if needed, but I'm using this setup on a 75g tank and I don't feel it's too much flow so I'm pretty sure it won't be too much for your 140g tank. If anything, it'll be too little flow... The OM Squirt can handle up to about 1300gph so I didn't see a good reason to go with the more expensive 4-way.

Nuno

What sort of corals are you planning to keep? If you want SPS and the Ocean Motions will be your primary source of flow in the tank, I think you need to get the 4-way and choose a larger pump (larger even than the T4, IMO). 140 gallons is a big tank for just 1000gph of flow.

For soundproofing, I wish I had lined my stand with soundproofing material. I think I would use boat engine-room sound-proofing, it's a little expensive, but it's pretty phenomenal stuff, and you won't need much (this stuff is foam with a reflective foil-layer on the outside, and a thin high-density layer in the middle for both high- and low-frequency attenuation). You should also use weather stripping or something to make sure all doors fit snuggly, because sound gets out cracks like light. Turn off the room lights, put a light inside the stand, and work on sealing any light leaks.

Nate

I know you didn't ask about your skimmer, but I had some questions about it. Hope you don't mind the paranthetical. The ASM skimmer you bought looks nice (just like a Euro reef basically) but I think it's capacity is hugely over-rated on the Champion lighting website.

For comparison the EuroReef CS 6-1 skimmer has identical specifications (6" diameter, 20" tall, same sedra 3500 pump) and they rate it for a 100 gallon tank.

I think people have found the ER capacity ratings to be honest, if maybe a bit conservative. With that ASM skimmer you might have to keep your stocking levels moderate in your 140 gallon tank (plus sump volume). If you can still return the skimmer, it might be worth exchanging for a slightly larger model. Just a thought. Maybe others will have more input.

I plan on adding a tunze or power head to the tank.
A basic turbelle use 11 watts.
I planned on a T2 first which uses 98 watts. With the ocean motion
and plumbing It might not circulate enough water.
The t3 has 3/4 threaded connectors and the chart on the web site below
indicates it has more power against a larger resistance than a t4.

How did you connect a t4 to the squirt?

http://www.championlighting.com/e/e...pumps.html?link=/Products/Pumps/velocity.html

Ok, with a Tunze, you can probably get away with any of those pumps as a return. Instead of the squirt you could get a tunze pair with a controller to switch the flow around. Then you could use a smaller pump for your return and save lots of money on electricity in the long run.

The Tunze will definetely help with flow ;)

Connecting a pump to the Squirt is no big deal, just use the appropriate PVC adapters (reducer bushings, if needed).

Keep in mind that in a closed-loop, you don't have head pressure, the only pressure will be from friction in the pipes (including any elbows, etc)... so, assuming you have 2 90 degree elbows on each return from the squirt (one at the end of the squirt, one at the bulkhead), that equals 2 feet of pressure... at that point in the curve, the T4 has almost double the flow of the T3. Also, when reading the curves, notice that the scale on the bottom is different on both charts, they can't be compared directly.

Regarding the skimmer, as Nate mentioned, it may be undersized for that tank size, depending on yout biload... I'm using a Euro-reef CS 6-1 on my 75g, I feel it's best to always take manufacturer's ratings with a grain of salt, although ER has a reputation of being realistic in their ratings.

Nuno

Oh, I hadn't realized you're going to use the T3 on the return, I thought it was for a closed-loop... if you add 4 or 5 more feet of head pressure (sump to tank) to the 2 I mentioned before, then you're around the break-even point, in which the T3 and T4 have approximately the same output.

Nuno

None of those links worked for me, so I'm not sure if you already bought your lighting or not yet. If not, and you said you were concerned about power usage, check out T5 lighing. I just recently purchased a T5 system, and I could not be happier. All of my corals have great color, and I have had no problems as of yet. If you do go T5 be careful of the make. The success of the T5 lights, is directly linked to the reflectors used on them. The quality units have an M shaped reflector. The difference in light output (actuall light getting into the tank) is amazing. Also if you custom build your hood, you can get a T5 retro kit. using and Icecap 660 ballast, you can overdrive the T5 ligth and double the output. there are some threads about this on RC. Anyway, hope that helps.

Thanks for the sound proofing information. I agree that the ASM is over rated and I
think the Euro is under rated. I have tested the g2x and I think it will be OK on the 140. The g2x uses 35 watts compared to the 50 watts for a g3 sendra 5000.
If asked I would probably recommend a g3 for this system. The ASM are excellent skimmers and I am taking a small risk with this. I may be overly focused on power consumption but had issues with it on tanks before.
The tank of the month on reef central is a good example of a low power tank.
The acros look good in this tank under 150 watt lights.
You may notice my lights are not 250 watts for this reason also.

The lights were at a very good price. I think I would have prefered two 150 watt
metal halides with 2 or 4 t5s. I have seen a lot of good reports on t5 only systems.
This is one area were risk and cost won over power consumption. I have a lot of
experience with MH systems and would be nervious about a t5 only system.

Back