Reusing dead LR

skatezen

If you pick it, Flick it!
I have about 200 lbs of dead rock from previous tanks that I'd like to use as base rock in my new 180 display/425 gallons system. The rock has was pulled from previous tanks and has been shelved for a few years. A lot of the rock has dead algae and detritus on/in it as it was not cleaned before it was shelved. What would be the best process to get this rock tank ready again?

boil, bleach, scrub

Yes you can use it, but with that much rock it might take a while to seed

I would just rinse it real good and gat any large areas of algae if there are any then stick it in the tank. The organics will feed the cycle.

I would just rinse it real good and gat any large areas of algae if there are any then stick it in the tank. The organics will feed the cycle.

That's what I'd do as well... Use some of that nasty stuff to start the cycle...

if you're starting the tank from scratch, I also agree with Mike and Dave. get a chunk of LR and a cup of sand from a seeded tank and go from there. Obviously, no light needed.....

good luck with the 180!

I started a 90g in August with 75lbs of rock from a tank that I had broken down about 6 years ago. Like you I didn't clean the rock before storing it. I dry brushed the nasties off and aquascaped with it. I also had the sand left from the previous tank and ued it as well without rinsing. I just sifted it to remove the larger pieces of debris.With all the old dry stuff in the tank I filled it with SW and went shopping for some choice pieces of liverock and live sand, with worms and pods and such,to use as seedstock. You're going to have algae blooms to beat the band. After 3 months and the addition of a bunch of herbivorius in habitants I now have very minor algaes and coraline grwing on the once dead rock and the glass and other equipment in the tank.

Thought I'd share my similar story. Good luck

Thanks for all the info guys. For the first week I had the rock soaking in hot tap water, then I added about 2 cups of bleach and let is sit for 3 days. Most of the dead bryopsis was white, but when I pulled off some of the white strands there was still green at the "root" where it anchors to the rock. I read on RC that someone added 2 gallons of bleach to a 40 gallon trash can to dissolve the organics, but this seems a little excessive to me. My goal with the bleach bath was to sanitize the rock and kill off any possible algae spores. I'm wondering if at this point the rock is sterile, I'm pretty sure it is, but I'm concerned by still seeing the green bryopsis. I've heard that even after the rock and algae is dry the bryopsis can still come back to life, but I don't really believe this. I've had this stuff in my life long enough and I want it GONE! Should I go for broke and really bleach the crap out of it or have I accomplished my goal? My plan is to add two cups of vodka and two teaspoons of Microbacter7 to really give it a good deep cleaning.

Back