Riccordia Problem

smcnally

Tankless
I came home tonight to a powerhead that spun around. It caused a mild sand dune directly on top of my two Tri-Color Riccordias. My little baby one was all slimed up when I pulled it out and looks very brown right now. The slime literally smelled like human poo. I gagged when I smelled my finger. If I didn't know anybetter I would have though I just picked my bum (Hmm...Maybe I did :confused: ) Anyway...The baby doens't look so hot. The mom looks a little shriveled up, but didn't slime and looks like she'll pull through. Any thoughts on the baby? Anyone have this happen with a Ric before?

Are you sure you weren't drunk and reaching into your toilet? My dead zoo's smell like body odor! :eek: That is too funny. You'll have to bring a sample to the meeting for examination........ :p

Well, I might end up buying a baby off you some day. The mom still looks alright, but I went to take a pic of the baby to post. And, right before I grabbed the camera I looked into my tank...My hippo tang swam over to it and picked at it...then swallowed it whole. Has anyone EVER seen a hippo eat a coral? It never touches anything other than food...EVER! Maybe it likes eating poo?

What the hell do you guys eat? Nothing to do with a LIVE human body should smell anything like dead or dieing coral! OK, OK, I'll let the poop thing go. You must have just eaten some really nasty seafood. But steevareno....dude!! If your armpits are starting to smell like dead zoas....Take a shower! With soap!! Do NOT bathe in your sump!!

starrfish said:
Maybe the question should be what the hell do you guys smoke?? :D

LMAO...It really did smell like poo. Is it not weird though that my hippo ate the riccordia? In one gulp too!

My maroon clown eats BTA tentacles if it's any consolation. :D Not just chewing on them, but eats whole tentacles when they get loose. Wierd fish...

smcnally said:
The mom still looks alright, but I went to take a pic of the baby to post. And, right before I grabbed the camera I looked into my tank...My hippo tang swam over to it and picked at it...then swallowed it whole. Has anyone EVER seen a hippo eat a coral? It never touches anything other than food...EVER! Maybe it likes eating poo?

My hippo eats its own poop, almost every time. Its like he likes recycling or something. He goes more nuts for his own poop than any other food. :confused: As for the rics, I know when I first got mine they spent a few hours in the bag and were sliming like nuts, so when I put it in the tank I put it in front of a powerhead for a few seconds to get some of the slime off. They were fine and open a few hours later. I hate powerheads tho, I lost a nice torch coral to one, I came home and it had fell down, right in front of the torch, and all the tenticles of it were spread around the tank. :mad:

Tangs are very strange - they do like to eat poop. I read that somewhere. My Orange Shoulder eats everyone's poop in the tank - he actually follows them around while they're pooping!! Your Hippo is just acting "natural" - pretty gross huh?!

Brown slime means it was damaged...probably would not have made it anyway...your hippo was just helping you out so you would not stress over wondering if it will recover :)

Back