ro cartridge question

gurumasta

Senior Moron
what is the difference between a five micron and a one micron carbon cartridge? other than four microns. also what are microns and what do they do. i currently am running a five micron. is one any better than the other?

thanks, --derek

a micron is a millionth of a meter. Scientifically speaking that's very very small. :)

I believe the filter ratings are roughly the pore size of the filter, so anything larger than 5 microns is excluded from a 5 micron filtrate, and anything larger than 1 micron is excluded from water passing through a 1 micron filter. At least that's the way sediment filters work. Not sure if it's the same for carbon cartridges.

micrometer... 1 millionth of a meter.

1 micron will reject particles down to 1 micron in size

4 micron filters will allow more particles through, but i mean you are talking about particles viewed under scanning electron microscopes...

bottom line...1 micron is slightly better cause it rejects more, but...will you ever see a difference...i doubt it.

darn you nate
smile.gif
i was all over that one

In addition to the above, a practical aspect is that you'll probably have to replace a 1 micron cartridge more often than a 5 micron one, just due to it catching more suspended particles.

Nuno

this is true...what I have failed to prove useing both is if you would replace any more frequently then you do anyway... i mean what is the realistic difference in 3 microns? what water particles are really that small anyway...my understands in most metals and such are much larger then that...is that correct?

I really don't know, but figured a smaller pore size would catch more "stuff"... not very scientific, I know :D FWIW I'm using a 1-micron sediment filter and 5-micron carbon cartridges (from the AA sale).

Nuno

clamm said:
what water particles are really that small anyway...my understands in most metals and such are much larger then that...is that correct?

Metals meaning rust particles, or something like that? Yes, probably.

But if you mean elemental metal atoms, then no, they are a few orders of magnitute smaller than that. I think about 1-50 Angstroms (one 10 billionth of a meter) for most atoms.

For reference, a human hair is about 50 microns (micrometers) wide.

Last edited:
me too...i got them cause they were so cheap...but anyway in theory you are 100% right...i have yet to prove extended life though using either... they are so cheap though why not just use the 1 micron.

So recapping in strictly scientific terms.
The 1 micron do-hicky catches smaller stuff than the 5 micron do-hicky but both do-hickies let the really really small stuff through.

Right, the idea is that if you catch more "stuff" before it hits the membrane, the membrane will last longer and since it's the most expensive part to replace, it makes sense to try and do that.

Nuno

One Eye said:
So recapping in strictly scientific terms.
The 1 micron do-hicky catches smaller stuff than the 5 micron do-hicky but both do-hickies let the really really small stuff through.

LOL...I was about to post the non-technical answer, too...but you summed it up pretty well.... :p

sorry. i used to make equiptment scanning electron microscopes that cost about 11 million per tool, for defect inspection of wafers before and after they are etched and processers are stamped on it... guess it went a little to geeky then it needed to be.

the tool we made would would magnifiy 1000x on one micron.... had a 3 deminsional rotating stage...but thats in the semiconductor days.

4 micron - filters most things found in water
1 micron - filters everything the 4 micron does plus a little more.

so with the 1 micron in theory you could extend the life of you di... hope that makes sence...

Back