what does an exhausted DI cartridge look like?

guyduquette

Non-member
I have a color changing DI cartridge on my Maxxima RO/DI system, but I've never seen it happen.

What changes color. The line about half way through will rise or something?

what is your TDS? reason is that it isn't a good idea to just use the color change as an indication of spent DI... IMHO...

You'll see it turning brown from the bottom up. When it's all brown it's toast.

Good question. I was wondering this myself. It says color changing DI, but it doesn't what color it will change to.
I usually just go with the TDS reading out of the DI. If it's more than 5, I change to a new cartridge.

Well mine looks brown. I bought it used a year ago. It's now getting white from the top down (about 1 1/2" or so)

My TDS reading still says zero though. So, should I wait until TDS goes up before I change it.

You should test the TDS, the color change is only an indicator as soon as you get a reading of anything more than 0 you should change it out.

It's the entire unit.
Get two of these dual inline tds meter and stick it in your unit
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewi...lTDSMeter&utm_campaign=mdcse&site=google_base

With a total of 4 probes, measure
1-The input of the first cartridge. This will tell you the tds of your source water
2-The output of your last cartridge(most likely the DI). This will tell you your RODI tds. Should be 0.
3-The input of the RO cartridge. This will tell you the tds before the RO.
4-The output of the RO cartridge. The RO cartridge should be removing 95-99% of the tds of reading 3. This reading will also tell you when to change the RO cartridge.

Pretty much bulletproof...I think.

Back