RO/DI unit making me angry!

dpnshnks

Non-member
I bought a Captive Purity RO/DI unit second hand (and without an instruction manual) and would really like to change the filters. Unfortunately, I can't get the canisters open! Being the brilliant person I am, I decided to unscrew them from the plastic mount and remove all the connecting tubes to get a better grip so I can get the bloody things open. Again, unfortunately, I can't get the connecting hoses undone, at least without taking some scissors to them. I've tried unscrewing the hoses, I've tried pulling on them, and I've tried compressing the tip while pulling. Heeelp!

Eric

I believe that you should have a special wrench that you use to remove the
filter covers. I have had several RO with it. Did you get that with the system?

And the tubing usually removes by compressing the collar that's immediately around the hose at the fitting, and pull the hose while you're holding that collar in.

Personally I find it easier to unscrew the housings with the unit assembled and attached to a wall. Otherwise it's hard to keep it still. Also you will probably need a wrench. My RODI came with one, and so did my whole house filter (from HD). You might be able to pick one up separately at HD.

Nate

You can also use the special wrench that is used for removing oil filters on cars. Nate is correct on the tubing removal push down and hold the small plastic ring just where the tubing enters the fitting and pull the tubing out. See here

http://www.john-guest.co.uk/step2a.asp

Last edited:
Special wrench...nope, definitely didn't get one of those and I also definitely see how that would be really useful! :p Thanks for the info, eveyone!

Eric

Back