Rock covered in green...what to do

jonros

Non-member
Most of my rock (base rock to start) became covered in green. I bought some live rock with the hope that it would seed what's not green.
Question - tempted to pull a piece or two, 'dry' out and return to 'base rock' form? Will the algae eventually go away (started to run GFO - I don't know what my phosphates read though).
Looking for suggestions.

And looking for more mature live rock to help seed.
TIA

Attachments

• IMG_20170819_163942.jpg
    IMG_20170819_163942.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 210
How old is the tank? I dont see any coraline growing ,but i see an angel and achilies tang. So i would assume its over y months. If it is new the algae will go away. But you might have trouble with those fish . Basicly tell us all about the tank age params all of it

Ty for the reply. Tank is 5 months old. Perplexed as to for the THIS kind of bloom... I thought perhaps hair algae, cyano and like would happen (it kind of did - the sand bed went brown for awhile early on then 'died') .
Not sure what brought this on (this is like 'encrusted' green algae - hard to scrape off even).

I will test for params shortly. It's been like this for maybe the past 3-4 weeks, though it seems to have stabilized - it's not getting worse.

When I had my tank cycling I pulled the rock out and brushed it with a toothbrush to remove algae. You will probably need to continue manual removal for a while while the tank cycles. A cuc will help but I think at this stage you will have to manually maintain that rock for quickest and best results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, tank is cycled. And no, I have zero CUC. But sadly, not sure if a cuc would help out - the algae is encrusted, I have a had time scraping it off with my fingers.
Posted this hoping someone would chime in with similar circumstances, and they did such and such to fix (chemically or otherwise...)

dosent look like you have a algae problem by looking at your picture also i see some rocks with coraline . just grab the green cover rock scrape a little and flip the rock around so the light doesn't hit it anymore . maybe as simple as that

Get a clean up crew and wait it out. That doesn't look bad your rock will eventually settle on a certain coloration. Or you can flip it if your really sick of looking at it.

Sorry not cycling as in getting the original bacteria set up but the blooms afterwards is what I meant. Green algae diatom bloom cyano... those cycles [emoji6] you could be getting a bloom from new tank syndrome. I have heard they can come and go for the first year. I had mine for the first 6-8 months myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back