Rock-n-Reef's 500 Gallon build

rock-n-reef

BRS Member
I have been planning this build for ages. Excited to finally get this started. With the move to our new home in early 2023, my wife and I decided to consolidate all our previous tanks into one system. So decided to go a bit bigger.

For anyone interested here are the links to my previous tank builds.

New Build Specs:
Tank Manufacturer: Planet Aquariums
Dimension: 96" L x 48" W x 24" H Peninsula

Stand: Powder coated steel stand also manufactured by Planet Aquariums
Dimension: 96" L x 48" W x 36" H

Overflow: Tideline 20" external overflow with bean-animal drains

Sump: Advanced Acrylics
Dimension: 72"L x 36"W x 16.5"H

Return Pump: 2x Reef Octopus VarioS-8

Lights: 10x Radion XR30 G5 (5 Pros + 5 Blue)

In-tank Flow: 4x MP60s + 2x Tunze 6255 mounted on Sea-Sweep oscillators

Skimmer: Reef Octopus Regal 300EXT

Tank order was placed beginning of June 2023. Build time 10 to 12 weeks.

Tank Location Prep - Fall 2023

This tank is going to be located in one of the garages that is getting renovated to an entertainment room.

1708706482841.jpeg

With the flooring all prepped, the slab on which the tank goes was epoxied...

1708706538750.jpeg

With that we were ready to receive the tank!

Sump is from Advanced Acrylics. 72x36x16.5

The filter sock chamber is fully removable as one section, if I were to convert this to a automated filter roller in the future. Those are six 7 inch filter socks.

The center chamber is a 36x36 section. To be potentially used as frag tank. Since the skimmer is going to be external recirculating, there is not much equipment that will sit in the sump.

1708707276722.jpeg

Awesome looking set-up. I'm going with Planet for my new build also! 60x24x24
Nice! The tank is built sturdy. Good craftsmanship. Their crate and shipping not that much. This is how the crate arrived (this is after the first one broke in shipping). You would hope they paid extra attention to the packaging after the first disaster. The tank was barely hanging on to the crate. That said, they were happy add armored braces, and double the warranty period at no cost when they rebuilt the tank. Which I appreciate.

1000011489.jpg

1000011490.jpg

A. Holy crap this build will be awesome. I have to see it!
B. For such a nice tank they need to pack it WAAAY better. Thrilled it made it the 2nd time.
C. That removable sock panel is an awesome idea.
D. Do you already have the other bits? Are you doing dry rock or have rock already good to go?
E. gotta have a letter E.

A. Holy crap this build will be awesome. I have to see it!
B. For such a nice tank they need to pack it WAAAY better. Thrilled it made it the 2nd time.
C. That removable sock panel is an awesome idea.
D. Do you already have the other bits? Are you doing dry rock or have rock already good to go?
E. gotta have a letter E.
Thank you! Have most of the stuff. Rock from my previous system are still there. Need to give it a nice scrub. It was infested with aiptasia and i was thinking of ditching it. Added a bunch of berghias and they took care of it. Will probably need a 50 to 100 pounds of additional rock maybe.

Back