Rtn?

TomD

Non-member
First time this happened to me as an SPS keeper. This was turning into a nice small colony. It was a real nice bright pink acro.

I have had it a few months. I came home tonight and it was all white:mad: All my other SPS are fine.

I just checked my parameters last night and they were all good. Going to test again now...

Why else does this happen?

Attachments

• RTN.JPG
    RTN.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 183
  • acros before.jpg
    acros before.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 177
The last myth I saw on this was most widespread RTN is caused by a drop in alkalinity.... in your case it's one small colony so who knows..... I don't think anybody really knows why it happens when it does, except for cases where there are obvious errors.

The last myth I saw on this was most widespread RTN is caused by a drop in alkalinity.... in your case it's one small colony so who knows..... I don't think anybody really knows why it happens when it does, except for cases where there are obvious errors.

Even if it was some kind of critter...one day??

Maybe this will teach me a lesson. I often let my alk drop off through the week to about 7-8 and then I bring it up slow over the weekend. All this time it was never an issue-No reactor yet, still using 2-part.

Last edited:
watch out for the coral next to it. It may go RTN too. This is what SPS keepers always encounter. Get use to it.

RTN is trigered when the coral is under stress. Some part of the coral send out biological signal to tell the rest of the colony to bail. That is part of the unsuccessful survival tatic.

RTN is trigered when the coral is under stress. Some part of the coral send out biological signal to tell the rest of the colony to bail. That is part of the unsuccessful survival tatic.

Thanks Dong, hope that does not happen. Shouls I take it out now? There is still a little flesh although it is 100% total loss.

it is 100% total loss. Take it out now before it trigger some other SPS to go RTN. If you ever meet old timer like Steve Tyree, they will tell you how a tank full of SPS melted overnight.

it is 100% total loss. Take it out now before it trigger some other SPS to go RTN. If you ever meet old timer like Steve Tyree, they will tell you how a tank full of SPS melted overnight.

Going to do it now:( Fortunately I can get an almost exact replacement from the vendor...still has them in stock.

I took the coral out and blasted the small flesh left in a bowl and I did not find any critters.

Still sucks to lose that piece, it was very bright in person.:eek:

I took the coral out and blasted the small flesh left in a bowl and I did not find any critters.

Still sucks to lose that piece, it was very bright in person.:eek:

Tom, That looks to me like a milli or prostrata. Not uncommon at all. I may have that coral in my tank already fragged. When an acro rtn's it releases toxins or some nasty bacteria. This is what will or could cause other corals near it or downstream from it to fire it up. It can sometimes cause a sort of chain reaction. I had a large tank leak years ago & my holding system was too small & it didn't have a skimmer for a day. A milli colony got pissed started to rtn & caused a chain reaction in the small system. I lost many acros in a 2 to 3 day period. What color was the coral. Burgandy or wine with light tips?

Thanks Brian, it was pink with light tips. I belive I purchased it as a Tonga Pink Acro. I removed it last night.

Thanks Brian, it was pink with light tips. I belive I purchased it as a Tonga Pink Acro. I removed it last night.

I got that one fragged already & encrusted on a plug. If you ever interested let me know. I'm growing out one for me & I have two other left.
B

Going to B-water meeting next month? If so, or you will have a runner, just pm me and let me know the $$?

Thanks

Back