Rubbermaid stock tanks

jtmac

Aquaholic since 1999
BRS Member
Anyone have any experience or currently using a Stock tank as a sump?

Very well then, I picked up a 100g stock tank about 6 months ago and was going to start a basement sump again soon. Been reefing (saltwater) for about 18 years now, I have had many tanks over the years and many basement sump systems. I'm currently running a 100 G mixed with a 40g sump/fuge. Long story short, this 42 year old guy is sick of hauling 5 gallon buckets up the stairs for water changes and top offs. I intend to finally go back to the basement sump set up for my own sanity.
The reason I ask is, i see many design layouts for the stock tanks but not any "what would I do different?" Sort of stuff. Any advice? Pics? Threads?

I hear ya, if you search through my old posts/threads you can see exactly what I did/had going on. I'm using my phone and at work which makes it hard to do stuff but click my name and then old started threads

I'm using a 100 gallon stock tank as a sump right now. The only issue I can think of is getting a proper sized bracket for say an auto top off but that wasn't really any issue at all. I love having all the space and have a bunch of rock in there as well. I have a build thread if you wanna take a glance.

I never had a basement sump before but I am loving it. The stock tank is great working space.

I'm using a 150G as a basement sump.

Climate control was an issue for a while, I'm using a chiller now to keep the water temperature in check.
My basment gets really hot and humid durring the summer, I ran an exhaust fan wired to a humistat to help with the humidity I also have to use a dehimidifer in other parts of the basement.

Also initially I plumbed in a tee/valve and some hose for water changes into a 5G bucket.
After a couple years I decided that was a stupid waste of time and effort so I finally decided to just hard plump a drainline up and out through basement sill into a drywell I dug out in my front yard.

If you will be using an external pump, for the sake of your sanity I highly recomment using a flex connection for the pump's intake and atleast 3' for the output to dampen vibration.
Otherwise you'll get a lovely sound that will echo throughout your entire house for all eternity.

Back