Salifert Test Kits Syringe Question

blajoie

Rookie
Heres a crazy question. I have both a calc and an alk salifert test kits. Both have the 1ml Syringe with them. (the one with the plastic tip)

Directions say to put tip under solution then draw fluid back. A small air pocket will become present inside the syringe to account for the volume of the plastic tip.

However on one of the kits, the syringe has 4ml of air, whereas the other has around 2ml of air. Obviously something is wrong with one of them. Can anyone confirm what they are getting with their test kits?

The volume of air makes no difference as long as you do not run out of liquid in the syringe before the test is complete. The amount of liquid dispensed is measured by the displacement of the plunger for what its worth my Alk air space is .1 and Calcium is .2. I assume you mean .2 and .4 not 2 and 4.

Jim

Yes yes i meant .2 and .4. They the same syringe though, correct? and should be displacing the exact same amount. Being .1 off is a big difference for such a precise test

Its only the initial air space and remains constant through the test it makes no difference whatsoever in the accuracy of the test.

Jim

Ahhh alright. Appreciate that explanation Jim, makes sense now. Thought I was going crazy earlier :eek:.

Back