Salinity Question

ReefGrlGLH

Non-member
My little tank (35g) is rite where I want it at 1.025. But the 55g is between 1.022-1.023 and i want it up to 1.025 how can i up it?
Now when i go to make my water to do a water change where should i have the salinity be, so that i can use the water for both tanks???
:eek:

Just top off the 55 gallon with 1.025 water until the tank reaches 1.025 sg.
Use fresh ro water to top off the 35 gallon.

topping off with salted water is a good way to raise your systems salinity just be on top of monitoring the salinity otherwise you could raise it too high.

So i just add salt to the jug of ro water? not use how they get salt ro water that was going to be my other question.

If you buy your salt water pre-mixed then yes your going to have to add some salt to the water. However when you add salt to your water you are going to want to mix it well, I would suggest a power head and a small mixing bin. Mix the solution well for an hour or so then test the salinity. Once its at the target level you can add it to your tank.

My little tank (35g) is rite where I want it at 1.025. But the 55g is between 1.022-1.023 and i want it up to 1.025 how can i up it?
Now when i go to make my water to do a water change where should i have the salinity be, so that i can use the water for both tanks???
:eek:
What did you use to test the salinity? A refractometer would give you an accurate test where a hydrometer could be slightly inaccurate. Remove a gallon of water from the 55, add a half cup of salt, mix well and add gradually to a sump if you have one. Keep your salinity at 1.025 in the new water for water changes. What brand of salt do you use and add accordingly, cups per so many gallons and remember the amount. It's also a good practice to match the calcium, alkalinity and magnesium so when you do your water changes you'll always know how much to add to maintain the same water parameters so it won't stress the tank. Some salts don't always have the exact calcium, alkalinity and magnesium that we want our tanks to be at.

Back