Salt mix comparison table, who's got one?

Leroy

Pres. NE Matchcover Club
Anyone have a link to the different salt mix comparisons for the amount of calcium, alkalinity and magnesium etc? I came across it on ReefKeeping last week but do you think I'd find it again when I search for it.......yeah right. I know the better quality reef salts have the right chemistry to match the tanks parameters and they're up in price compared to Instant Ocean that lacks what is needed. To all links......thanks in advanced.

The companies change their formulations regularly so these charts might not be accurate for what you should expect in a bucket you buy today.

I was recently speaking to someone 'in the know' on some salt issues. One thing he mentioned was that some of the salt manufacturers have learned that if their stuff is shipped long distance sometimes the constant shaking during transport can end up partially 'undoing' the original homogeneous composition of the mix. I guess this is due to the difference in particle size and density of some of the chemicals that are use in the mix. So, be careful in making big conclusions based on an analysis of the top bit of a large salt bucket.

When I buy new salt, I always dump it out of it's bucket into one of my big buckets and mix it around...helps make sure you always get a good blend....same thing with pancake mix and brownie mix :D

When I buy new salt, I always dump it out of it's bucket into one of my big buckets and mix it around...helps make sure you always get a good blend....same thing with pancake mix and brownie mix :D
Do you buy different salt buckets and mix it into a larger bucket? I'd get confused considering the amount of cups per gallon is always a constant when I mix my salt into the 55 gal container and I also know how much Mag, Calc and Alk to mix in to match my tanks water parameters. Maybe I'm just not a fan of chocolate pancakes, maybe sprinkle some chocolate chip in the batter works for me.

no, I have a 7+ gallon bucket of some misc salt (now empty) that came with the aquarium, I buy a 5 gallon bucket of salt and dump it in there then mix it (the salt) around by hand. I just scoop what I need from the 7-gallon bucket for my water changes until it's gone. Settling during shipping causes striations in the salt(sometimes). The last bucket of salt I bought had compressed into a brick and I had to crush it back into a salt consistency lol

Back