Salt mix for large tank

Mccune

BRS Member
I recently picked up a 300 gallon tank and plan to run a 55 gallon refugium and 40 gallon sump. So with almost 400 gallons of water I am trying to decide what salt mix to use and not break the bank. As part of my tank matinance I plan on doing constant water changes between 35-55 gallons per week so I will be using lots of salt mix. Let me know what you recommended for a good salt that I can use that can also be miixed and used over a week or so

instant ocean reef crystals has always been my stand by. never any issues with it. if you buy in the bulk boxes you can save quite a bit. two boxes (200gal) will get you started, then a third to get you through your first few months of tank cycling (wouldn't recommend too many large volume water changes during cycling as it's kind of a waste).

Tank will be started with some rock that has been cycled for about 6 months and dead rock added. I wasn’t going to do many water changes in the beginning to make sure the refugium has time to really take hold

59EAC3A4-88EA-4FC6-BDF6-3F60A503F609.jpeg
B5D5F328-219E-4B59-8F05-543B39D1CA2B.jpeg
I use instant ocean reef crystals for my SPS system 500+ gallon and I do water change 50 gallon every week.

Last edited:
Instant Ocean is a pretty solid choice. If you contact them directly, they might be able to provide a discount if you place a direct, bulk order. I don't know how "bulk" that order might have to be, though. Check Amazon and online petstores for subscription discounts too. It might be cheaper than buying in bulk.

My system is 450 gallons and I have been using reef crystals also and do a 55 gallon water change every 2 weeks. Get amazon prime shipping and the ups people must hate me when I buy 200 gallon salt mix

So now the choice will have to be between instant ocean and reef crystals

I go through 50 gallon per day, lol.
The UPS driver hates me. The Fedex driver hates me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I go through 50 gallon per day, lol.
The UPS driver hates me. The Fedex driver hates me.

Dong you use CoralLife right?

Dong drinks salt water. Acros grow from his toe nails. He’s not really Chinese. That is just a disguise to hide the fact that his mother is a mermaid, his father is Poseidon and his siblings are Yellow Tangs.

If you dose or use calcium reactor which I do, it is important to use salt without enriched with calcium and alkalinity.
You can bring those levels up but not down.
Also natural sea water has alk at 7.

Back