WTB Saltwater mollies

Ptreef

BRS Member
Anyone near Boston have some prolific breeding saltwater adapted mollies they're looking to get rid of? Trying to avoid lost lives of cheap Petco fish in the transition.

phg1960

Non-member
Why not just buy some at your local LFS. It doesn't take long to acclimate them to higher salinity. A matter of hours is all it takes.

cablez

BRS Member
I acclimated my mollies in an houe and a half, dripped in about a gallon of tank water into a bucket wit the water they came in from lfs...once salinity matched i picked them up in my hands and released into reef.....the rest is history....and they have since given birth :D I got 3 baby sailfin mollies in my reef at the moment

cablez

BRS Member
Algae eaters.
like nothing I have ever seen before, I have seen them bulldogging matted hair algae clumps better than tangs, also the mouth of a molly is like a carp, so they literally scrape the rocks clear of algae, also the frag plugs and racks, but they will also pick at the sand bed, constantly picking....they key is keep them a bit hungier. I also heard tales of them eating aiptasia.......all I know is between them and my peppermint I have 0 aiptasias in my tank

Ptreef

BRS Member
While we have some discussion going. Any recommendations on number of mollies for a 60 gallon. I was thinking 4. Overkill?

joe0813

BRS Member
I just get the petco ones.... the get temp acclimated and thats it. Ive found the longer the acclimation period last the more mollies I kill.

w_1qaz

BRS Member
They are a very hardy breed.
I think you would have to worry more about other fish in your tank picking on them since they are slow movers.
Had seen my, gramma, pajamas and clowns harass the lyretails a lot; even in multiple tanks.

April Monthly Meeting

Featuring Sanjay Joshi
Reefkeeping by Numbers:
"What you really need to know"

Saturday April 3, 2021
7 PM On Zoom!