sand bed clean up

monti1

Non-member
What are you guys using as clean up for your sand beds? I am pretty sure that sand sifting stars are notorious for completely depleting life in a bed. I daeff dont want that but would like some sort of cleaner. What do you recomend?

I have a large banded brittle star, 2 Atlantic cucumbers, a number of the large pacific and smaller atlantic nassarius snails and a small army of cerith snails.

Flow and more water changes, I have never come up with any else that was more than partial solution.
Critter are good for keeping house but that is it IME. Once you have a problem it is back to the basic. Which will usually push you to the brink of giving up then all of a sudden everything turns around.

My nas snail does a great job with misc food etc. but the best one I have is my Algae Blenny. He eats just as much sand as he does slime algae off rocks and glass.

Flow and more water changes, I have never come up with any else that was more than partial solution.
Critter are good for keeping house but that is it IME. Once you have a problem it is back to the basic. Which will usually push you to the brink of giving up then all of a sudden everything turns around.

Second that.

When a tank is in trouble, snails die very quikly and contribute to the issue as well. Keep the water in check then use snails/hermits to clean up un-eatten food.

Back