Clean sand bed

If its cyano, more flow...water changes, cut down on feeding, beef up the clean up crew, ceriths will help aerate if I spelt that right

I have about 5 ceriths.I'm going to put my other hydor in and go get a conch.cut down on feeding.should I do a lights out? And for how long?

im actually having the same problem right now. i feed every other day and the mantis every 3 or 4. i know it has do do with flow for me

you need to feed everyday bud... That's a common misconception, feed often, but not too much at one time....

And hermits clean the sandbed well, they do it after the lights turn off, Be careful with gobies, they like to jump....

I feed everyday like clockwork when my hailides turn off... It's funny all my fish school around the top as soon as the brights turn off... thay know what time it is!!!

I feed everyday and never have a dirty sandbed issue, just invest in a good clean up crew and good flow.

Last edited:
Nevermind..did a search

Good luck. There are many threads out here on the subject of dealing with cyano.
just remember this, it wont be fixed over night. Finding the right husbandry to remedy the problem, like everything else, takes time.

Had one of my pumps fall off the glass last night.woke up to a sand storm...well the sand bed is clean for right now since its all blowing around my tank! looks like a blizzard just went through it.is this going to be a major problem?

Had one of my pumps fall off the glass last night.woke up to a sand storm...well the sand bed is clean for right now since its all blowing around my tank! looks like a blizzard just went through it.is this going to be a major problem?

No. Your tank is fresh enought that it shouldn't affect anything....

Stronger powerheads min (2) 1200gph with at least 3 conch. I would also add a simple hangon filter with cotton to suck up all diatom left lingering in the water for at least a week.

Stronger powerheads min (2) 1200gph with at least 3 conch. I would also add a simple hangon filter with cotton to suck up all diatom left lingering in the water for at least a week.

In the ocean, the sand bed moves all the time because of current. You don't want to point your power heads at the sand and blow it all around, nor do you want it not to move it, then its basically a "dead spot". Instead try lowering your power heads in the tank until you start to see the cyno and other crap you have growing on the bottom, blow around and up into the water table, as well as bits of sand rolling around. Your looking for subtle shifts in the sand bed. This will keep it moving and things from growing on it. Also you should not suck it up off the bottom. The stuff you have growing on your sand bed feeds of nutrients trapped in the sand bed, if you leave them there (I know its hard because they are gross looking) they will eventually start to run out of food. That plus nutrient control, plus the "right kind" of water movement should help you out. The key is to do multiple things to solve the issue there is no particular thing. Plus you said your tank only has been running since march, this means tank is still in infancy stage, if you keep up husbandry, the problem will just go away, this is what 99% of tanks look like during this stage.

you need to feed everyday bud... That's a common misconception, feed often, but not too much at one time....

And hermits clean the sandbed well, they do it after the lights turn off, Be careful with gobies, they like to jump....

I feed everyday like clockwork when my hailides turn off... It's funny all my fish school around the top as soon as the brights turn off... thay know what time it is!!!

I feed everyday and never have a dirty sandbed issue, just invest in a good clean up crew and good flow.

I gonna beg to differ on feeding requirements. Sure there are fish like Anthias that need to be fed multiple times a day but others do not.

I feed my fish only 3-4 times a week and all are healthy. I have been feeding them like that for many years now and have not seen any ill effects.

They're just like my dog, they always look hungry :).

from my experience - if you get a yellow head goby - that thing will keep your sand nice and clean. mine eats the sand and spits it out every second! secondly i would get a bull horseshoe crab. they hang out under the sand and moves it around.

Thank you for all the advice guys.I'm going to invest in some better powerheads soon.I've always had then up high in the tank so I've lowered then down a bit just to where its not blowing everything around to much.and out seems to be helping the situation.so you say I shouldn't suck it out..why is that? Wouldn't I why to get as much of it out as possible?

Back