Sand stirrer opinions

denvig

Time To Wake Up
What critter do you think makes the best sand sifters/stirrers that are reef safe, don?t kill/eat other critters or fish and don?t wipe out all the good stuff in the sand?

So far, I love the fighting conch...always in front and digging and eating. Best thing Mike ever sold me at AA.

Funny thing. One of my hermit crabs is getting pretty large I guess, and he took a fancy to the fighting conch shell.........

......a while back he had a -NICE- lunch, and ALSO got himself a new home.

I just picked up 2 Sand Sifting Starfish (Astropecten polycanthus) from Sea Creatures in Revere they are working great in my 90.

Last edited:
Hmmm.... I don't ever really stir my sand.

The only exception is I will turn the sand over right near the glass to get rid of the cyano-line that forms in all of our systems, but usually only when I'm having guests over or photographing the tank.

If your sand looks like it is in need of stirring, sweeping what has collected on the surface under the rug (or sand, so to speak) might not be the answer. I noticed that as my tank matured, it collected less and less on the surface of the sand,

Just my thoughts,

Matt:cool:

I don't real mean stir (I would not do or recommend that anyone do that) but more sand maintenance type fish/critters. Just keeping the top layer clean so to speak.

I've read that "sand stirring starfish" are actually hunting for the bugs in the sand that do all the processing of garbage. Soon enough they'll deplete the deep sand bed of the good bugs. That's not good.

I had Narsarsius sp. snails, and they did move through the sand, but they eventually disapeared. I'm not sure if it was an unnatural or natural passing -- they just vanished after 6mo. to a year.

I think most of my sand maintenance occurs at night by various critters that scurry around and by hermits during the day, but it is impossible to tell. All I can say is that it just happens, and my sand is crelatively clean on top,

Matt:cool:

I have 4 in my tank and see them everytime I feed. They suddenly pop out of the sand and then shortly after they submerge themselves again, usually I only see a tiny tentacle or eyeball, dunno what it is, sticking out of the sand.

Moe_K said:
I've read that "sand stirring starfish" are actually hunting for the bugs in the sand that do all the processing of garbage. Soon enough they'll deplete the deep sand bed of the good bugs. That's not good.
I have read the same thing and this is why I?ve been reluctant to go with starfish. I do have Nassarius snails and they seem to do a good job but Matt is right they do need to be replaced every 6 months or so. Maybe they need something that we are not supplying. Do the fighting conchs stay on the sand? Do they climb and knock over stuff?

My conch stays on the sand (most of the time) but every few months it will bury itself for a day or 3 and then I see it up and about. It is very cool when it "hops" over stuff in its way. The one I have is about 3" and it will hop over rocks and other immovable objects.

I have to agree with the fighting conch. Since I got mine my sand has been very clean and it gets great "stirring". There is never any algae growth on hte sand now and he ever gets to those hard to reach places on rocks with its elongated mouth. Mine only burries itself every week or so and only as deep as its shell.

Good luck

Back