Sand, who knew it would be so hard to choose

Joker

Viking Corals
BRS Member
First question is who on here uses either tropic eden mini flakes or carribsea special grade and has a watchman goby in the tank? My wife wants either a watchman or a yasha but in this tank I’m going to need tons of flow so now I have to find a sand that works right in the middle for flow and the goby. I originally wanted to bare bottom but you can with a goby. Please let me know pros and cons and just what your opinion is guys.

Last edited:
I just bought Fiji pink and special grade as I plan to mix it in my tank. The different sizes work well for sand creatures. In my old tank I did a mix of reef lakes and mini reef flakes and it worked good.

petco has some good prices on the sand when I bought if you go Carib sea brand

My first tank was southdown play sand lol. Worked just fine and it was like $10 for a 50# bag!

I have a mix of mini and meso flakes and works well for me in my biocube with a mj1200 return and Gyre 1k running a pulse mode at 80-90-100 percent.

Last edited:
I also have a mix of meso & mini flakes. Had a pair of shrimp gobies who had a nice burrow with it (courtesy of their shrimpy friend).

Ok I think I’m gunna do a mix of the meso and the mini. The only problem I have now is there is only one store online that carries tropic eden and I have never heard of them before. The name is premium aquatics. Has anyone used these guys before?

Yep, Premium Aquatics is a great online shop. Cool videos put out from them online too. As the others have already said "Don't hesitate".

I used Carribsea special grade. I like the larger grain. I have 2 pistol shrimps and they love the grain of the sand. No fines floating with substrate movements. Had Fiji but didn't like it grain was too fine for may taste.

I like my Carribsea special grade a lot as well. Though it’s definitely best on new tanks since it seriously clouds the water for about 4 days. Not sure fish or coral would appreciate that in an established tank. Since it comes with ocean bacteria it hasn’t been cleaned of silt like some of the other brands.

Back